Use your technology and development skills to help end educational inequality!
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, and are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education.
TNTP seeks a full-time Software Developer for the software team in Technology Services. This position will be based in our central office in Brooklyn, NY and is available immediately.
Who We Are
We’re passionate about great teaching and relentlessly committed to giving all students a vibrant education. (Check out what’s possible when students are challenged and inspired in school – tntp.org/room-to-run)
We aim to dramatically improve educational outcomes for a critical mass of U.S. public school students.
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s Technology Services Department supports our organization with internal and client-facing technology needs. We build and support software tools used by close to fifty TNTP programs, ranging from recruiting teachers to analyzing school culture and learning environment. Our amazing software and technology enable our organization to focus on our goal to impact student achievement and learning in schools and districts across the country.
What You’ll Do
We use all of the latest and greatest web technologies, so we need new team members who are as excited about software development as we are. In a typical day you will be working directly with your cross-functional Scrum team (5-10 developers, designers, testers), attending stand-up, design and kick-off meetings, coding new features and maintaining existing ones.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Coding and testing high-quality features for TeacherTrack2, Insight Reporting Services, and Argus Observations
- Contributing to requirements gathering and estimation sessions
- Participating fully in all Scrum processes and meetings
Who We Want
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Software developer to:
- Be an innovative problem-solver –You can quickly identify challenges, analyze the root causes, and propose solutions and tools to help staff. You’ll bring evidence and your opinions about the best technologies and approaches to use to the team to produce the highest quality software possible.
- Care about the user experience – You want to understand how end users are using the systems you are providing and care about how what you build impacts their work.
- Have a commitment to producing high-quality code – You are aware of design patterns, best practices, producing self-documenting code and looking for ways to test and improve the features you produce.
- Collaborate – We want to be able to hear your opinions. You will support the growth of your colleagues and help them create better solutions.
- Be willing to step up to the plate –You’re eager to contribute and learn, willing to provide solutions before we even know there are issues. You make ongoing process improvements. We have a strong commitment to the continuous growth of our team and we want people who are excited to be learning more.
- C# and ASP.NET 4.5 Development
- A strong understanding of the HTTP protocol, HTML5, RESTful design, and interacting with web-based APIs
- A very strong grasp of object-oriented programming principles, with an understanding of design patterns
- Strong communication skills, ability to collaborate effectively and work as a part of a team
- Commitment to delivering great software and releasing it quickly, efficiently and with increasing quality
- Enthusiasm for test-driven development and competence with writing unit and integration tests
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment (strongly preferred)
- Experience with ASP.NET MVC 5, LINQ, Microsoft SQL Server (strongly preferred), PostgreSQL
- Comfort working with Windows and Linux environments
- Experience with MongoDB, or an enthusiasm for NoSQL solutions
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure)
- Experience with test automation, functional testing, and exploratory testing
- Enthusiasm for emerging technologies such as .NET Core, ECMAScript 6/7, WebSockets
- BA/BS in technical or related field, or sufficient demonstration of technical expertise
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance-based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
At TNTP, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. TNTP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
- TNTP: www.tntp.org
- Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
- Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Back to top