Project Director - School Leadership Professional Development & Program Design
Seeking passionate instructional leaders!
TNTP seeks a full-time Project Director to support our Pathway to Leadership in Urban Schools (PLUS) programs. This position is based from a home office anywhere in the U.S., or from the TNTP central office in Brooklyn, and is available immediately. Occasional travel is required.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP has launched the Pathway to Leadership in Urban Schools (PLUS), a school leader residency program, in several cities across the country. Our goal is to create a dream team of effective leaders for schools and districts by recruiting and training a new cohort of school leaders through a year-long residency, providing targeted professional development for all Principals – new and veteran, and engaging in one-on-one coaching for mentors of the residents. Our PLUS programs are also an important opportunity for the education sector to learn more about how to effectively recruit, train, and support school leaders over time.
What You’ll Do
We know that to have an effective teacher in every classroom, there must be an effective leader in every school. As a Project Director, you will work with our PLUS teams to drive systemic change by developing a shared vision of what excellent instruction looks like among aspiring school leaders and designing high quality professional development to help them operationalize that vision.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Contributing to the design of the PLUS (Pathways to Leadership in Urban Schools) program structure and content relying on research-based best practices for adult development
- Leading and managing the PLUS Central team to provide support and resources for PLUS sites across the country
- Leading the strategy and design of monthly professional development sessions for aspiring and current school leaders
- Managing other TNTP staff in their work to coordinate projects, examine data and develop metrics to support the successful implementation of services
- Facilitating and preparing others to facilitate professional development for school leaders
- Collaborating with PLUS teams across contracts to develop TNTP’s best practices in school leadership development
- Innovating in collaboration with others at TNTP to strengthen services for supporting school leaders across the country
- Developing and managing high level internal client relationships with senior TNTP leaders and other stakeholders
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect the Project Director to:
- Bring a distinguished track record in school leadership. You have led schools that achieved great things for their students.
- Demonstrate expertise in designing powerful learning experiences for adults. You excel at designing and implementing professional development experiences from top to bottom and have the content expertise to create rich training materials, conceptualize meaningful interactive learning experiences, and facilitate training sessions for school leaders.
- Propose innovative solutions to complex challenges. You have a history of tackling high stakes challenges head on and moving work forward toward successful outcomes. Ambiguity doesn’t overwhelm you; just the opposite, you thrive on it. Your creative instincts will help you deal with vague situations and develop new approaches with limited guidance.
- Innovate and implement solutions to complex challenges. You have a history of engaging with high stakes challenges directly and successfully. Ambiguity doesn’t overwhelm you; just the opposite, you thrive on it. Your creative instincts will help you deal with vague situations and develop new approaches with limited guidance.
- Have a strong vision and innovative independently. You’ll gather ideas from the field where PLUS programs are in action and generate new ideas for how to enhance our program offerings. A strong vision and understanding of existing research and best practices will feed your ability to generate exciting and innovative approaches to leadership development.
- Lead a thriving team. One of your greatest responsibilities and privileges will be to manage and develop incredible people toward ambitious goals.
- Previous experience in school leadership and a proven track record of raising student achievement, preferably in high-need schools or with high-need populations (required)
- Experience designing professional development for school leaders and teachers
- Immediate understanding of what effective teaching looks like and a deep commitment to effective and rigorous instruction
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Common Core State Standards
- Ability to track and analyze performance data to uncover trends and act strategically and effectively to improve results
- Experience preparing client-ready presentations, including PowerPoint decks, handouts, and talking points
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills, including the ability to collaborate, and attain and grow effective partnerships to meet common goals in a virtual working environment
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
At TNTP, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. TNTP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
- TNTP: www.tntp.org
- Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
- Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Back to top