Pre-Service Training Instructors- Pathway to Teaching Program
Seeking Passionate Instructional Leaders!
TNTP seeks summer Pre-Service Training Instructors for the Client Team working with the Pathway to Teaching Program. This position is based in San Francisco and is available in Spring 2017.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
The Pathway to Teaching Program is an educator preparation program preparing candidates for a career in teaching designed for talented professionals committed to improving odds for students by raising student achievement. The program prepares teacher candidates to have a successful career as a teacher in San Francisco Unified School District. The program will support elementary, special education, and bilingual teachers.
The Pathway to Teaching Program prepares new teachers to achieve immediate, measurable success with their students in the fall. Our training approach, called Fast Start, focuses on foundational skills that we believe new teachers must have to ensure a strong start to the school year as a new teacher. During their pre-service training, Pathway teachers rehearse the foundational skills, receive coaching, and practice them with students. Pathway teachers must demonstrate proficiency in these skills in order to successfully complete pre-service training and become a teacher of record in the fall.
What You’ll Do
Instructors lead skill-building sessions focused on the foundational skills of pre-service training, ensuring new teachers have high quality opportunities to both learn and practice the skills. In addition, Instructors design and facilitate sessions that support new teachers’ ability to plan and execute instruction. Specifically, you will be expected to:
- Plan and facilitate daily skill-building sessions based on Teach Like a Champion and other techniques, social-emotional learning, culturally responsive teaching, and high leverage content for groups of new teachers, including:
- Expertly modeling techniques so new teachers understand the essential components of the techniques and their impact on student learning
- Leading new teachers in analyzing the techniques and reflecting on them
- Providing targeted, actionable feedback to new teachers on their practice of the techniques
- Maintaining high levels of session rigor through skillful facilitation
- Plan and facilitate collaborative planning sessions for groups of new teachers, that include designing and leading lesson planning sessions that support Fellows’ acquisition of instructional planning skills
- Support the planning and facilitation of sessions run by school district staff members
- Monitor and assist new teachers’ completion of the program’s online coursework
- Identify and communicate trends in new teachers’ performance by communicating performance trends to Teacher Development Coaches, who work with smaller groups of new teachers to further develop skills in the classroom
- Meet with other PST team members to plan meaningful training activities and norm on teacher performance standards
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Instructors are experienced educators who demonstrate a track record of success working with students in high-need schools, hold high expectations for students and teachers, and have strong organizational and communication skills. Ideal candidates will also have:
- Minimum two years of successful teaching experience in high-need subject areas (required)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Common Core State Standards (highly preferred)
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Experience and comfort providing direct, in-the-moment feedback to teachers, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate improvement
- Experience and comfort in facilitating effective training experiences for groups of adult learners
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Demonstrated ability to respond positively to feedback and learn quickly
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Readiness to work non-standard hours over the course of the pre-service training (40+ hours per week)
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making
What We Offer
A Teacher Development Coach can expect to earn $9500 on average for time worked during staff training and PST. TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children.
Pre-Service Training Instructors can expect up to 40 hours of training over multiple days in the spring and summer. Pre-Service Training Instructors are focused on preparation work in advance of pre-service training and a full-time commitment of 40 – 50+hours/week for the six weeks of pre-service training.
If you are interested in becoming a Pre-Service Training Instructor for the Pathway to Teaching Program, please submit a resume and one-page cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experience and skills make you a strong candidate to mentor new teachers who are preparing for their first years in high need classrooms?
- What do you believe to be the biggest challenges that will beset the incoming teachers in their first year and how you will help them to overcome these challenges during the sessions you will lead?
Please submit your application online.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Pathway to Teaching Program: http://sfusdpathwaytoteaching.org/
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/join/life-at-tntp
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Sara works with TNTP’s talent coaches to train teachers and with school systems to implement effective teacher evaluation systems.
Back to top