Pre-Service Training Instructor – Baltimore City Teaching Residency
Seeking Passionate Instructional Leaders!
TNTP seeks summer Pre-Service Training Instructors for the Baltimore City Teaching Residency (BCTR). This position is based in Baltimore, MD and is available in summer 2016 (training starts in spring 2016).
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
Through a TNTP partnership with City Schools, Baltimore City Teaching Residency (BCTR) provides career changers and recent college graduates the chance to transform the lives of Baltimore City youth. We are not just any teacher preparation program. We do not just provide a means to earn certification. We prepare teachers to lead thriving, academically demanding classroom communities in which students achieve at high levels. Currently, one in ten Baltimore City Teachers became a teacher through BCTR.
Because of the high stakes for Baltimore students, our rigorous training program expects a tremendous amount of our new teachers. Our fast-paced program focuses on the essential skills that teachers need most to start strong. Teachers will repeatedly practice foundational classroom management and instructional techniques, receive direct feedback from skilled coaches, and must pass an evaluation in order to be eligible to start teaching in the fall. Not everyone who enrolls and starts summer training will begin teaching during the school year, which ensures that only new teachers who start strong are in front of Baltimore City students.
What You’ll Do
Pre-Service Training Instructors are experienced and successful teachers who customize and facilitate cultural skill-building sessions throughout the summer. These sessions are focused on the foundational skills necessary to build a strong classroom culture, ensuring Residents have high quality opportunities to both learn and practice the skills. Specifically, a Pre-Service Training Instructor will be expected to:
- Deeply internalize Teach Like a Champion and the principles of effective practice with the techniques
- Plan and facilitate daily cultural skill-building sessions based on Teach Like a Champion for Residents, including:
- Expertly modeling Teach Like a Champion techniques to ensure Residents understand the essential components of the techniques, their impact on student learning, and how they can be used to build a safe and equitable learning community
- Leading Residents in analyzing the Teach Like a Champion techniques including common pitfalls and misuses of the techniques
- Providing immediate, targeted, actionable feedback to Residents on their practice of the techniques
- Maintaining high levels of session rigor through skillful facilitation
- Identify and communicate trends in Resident performance by communicating performance trends to Teacher Development Coaches, who work with smaller groups of Residents to further develop skills in the classroom
- Evaluate Resident performance by assessing Resident proficiency, using data to identify trends in teacher performance and identifying the highest priority development areas on an individual and group level
- Be a champion of our Pre-Service Training vision and consistently convey the importance of building strong relationships with students and families to create an equitable classroom experience for every student
- Attend approximately 40 hours of training throughout April, May, and June to prepare for the start of Pre-Service Training
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Pre-Service Training Instructors to demonstrate a record of academic success working with students in high need schools, high expectations for students and teachers, and strong organizational and communication skills. Ideal candidates will also have:
- Minimum two years of successful teaching experience in high-need subject areas (required)
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques (highly preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Experience and comfort with providing direct, in-the-moment feedback to teachers, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate improvement
- Experience in facilitating effective training experiences for adult learners
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Readiness to work non-standard hours over the course of the Pre-Service Training (40+ hours per week)
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making
- Experience with building relationships with students and their families and promoting equity in the classroom
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position.
TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children.
Instructors can expect to attend up to 40 hours of training over multiple days in the spring. In the summer Instructors commit to 40 or more hours per week for the six weeks of Pre-Service Training.
If you are interested in becoming a Pre-Service Training Instructor for the Baltimore City Teaching Residency, please submit a resume and one-page cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experience and skills make you a strong candidate to train new teachers who are preparing for their first years in high need classrooms?
- What do you believe to be the biggest challenges that will beset the incoming Residents in their first year and how you will help them to overcome these challenges during the sessions you will lead?
Please submit your application online.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Hiring process: http://tntp.org/join/hiring-process
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/join/life-at-tntp
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Sara works with TNTP’s talent coaches to train teachers and with school systems to implement effective teacher evaluation systems.
Back to top