Manager, External Communications
- Flexible / Remote
Use your communications expertise to help end educational inequality.
TNTP seeks a full-time Manager of External Communications for our Communications & Publications Department. This position is based in a home office anywhere in the U.S. and is available immediately. Travel for team and organizational meetings is required a few times a year.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation's public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we're a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
Our Communications & Publications Department works to position TNTP as the nation's most authoritative voice on effective teaching and providing all students with the quality education they deserve. We are a collaborative, creative team leading TNTP's marketing, publications and communications efforts. Our team is virtual, with some of us based in TNTP's New York City office, and the rest working remotely from home offices across the country.
What You'll Do
As Manager of External Communications, you will report to the Partner, Communications & Publications and work closely with teammates, organizational leaders, and staff across the organization to tell the story of our work across a variety of platforms. We're looking for people who embrace a fast-moving organization and thrive on constant learning. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Writing copy for a variety of external platforms, including social media, email, and TNTP's blog
- Managing coordinated, cross-platform campaigns to highlight TNTP's priority issues, programs, and publications
- Leading community management for TNTP's social media platforms (engaging with comments, responding to questions, following up on leads for blog posts, etc.)
- Maintaining TNTP's media list; monitoring media coverage of the organization and our key issues; and identifying creative ways we can drive and shape that coverage
- Building relationships with staff, external partners, reporters, and stakeholders across the education landscape to help surface and share positive stories about priority issues and programs
What You'll Bring
We are looking for amazing people with diverse backgrounds and a genuine investment in improving public education, who are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives through education. Our ideal candidate will be equally comfortable proposing strategy and diving into the details. You'll feel right at home here if you are a clear communicator, appreciate passionate debates about grammar and design, build strong relationships with people, and push the work and the people around you to the next level. We expect our Manager to:
- Be an outstanding communicator. You love telling stories. You are an expert writer with a clear and compelling voice, a knack for finding simplicity in complexity, and good instincts for using multimedia to amplify your words.
- Be a strong strategic thinker. You are a natural problem-solver who can efficiently assess the big picture, analyze the root causes, and define new ways forward. You are intellectually curious and thrive on working with multidisciplinary teams, often across multiple projects at once.
- Invest and influence others. You bring out the best in your team and inspire your colleagues. You know how to build relationships with a variety of stakeholders-from internal clients to reporters to students and teachers contributing to our blog.
- At least two years of experience in external communications, with a demonstrated ability to deliver excellent writing on tight deadlines.
- Experience managing social media, email marketing, or media relations for an organization or campaign strongly preferred.
- High emotional intelligence and strong listening skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- A willingness to work non-standard hours and/or occasional weekends
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience with the potential for an annual performance-based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It's in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment.
TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Back to top