Leadership Coach - Kansas City
Seeking passionate school leaders!
TNTP seeks a full-time Leadership Coach for our Pathway to Leadership in Urban Schools (PLUS) team. This position will be based Kansas City, Missouri. The person in this role has some flexibility to work from home, and will also travel to visit schools and the district office on a frequent basis.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
One way TNTP supports districts and schools to reach their goals for students is though our Pathway to Leadership in Urban Schools (PLUS) program, a school leader residency program. Our goal is to create a dream team of effective leaders for schools and districts by recruiting and training a new cohort of school leaders through a year-long residency, providing targeted professional development for residents, and engaging in one-on-one coaching for Mentor Principals of the residents. PLUS programs provide the education sector the opportunity to learn more about how to effectively recruit, train, and support school leaders over time.
What You’ll Do
We know that to have an effective teacher in every classroom, there must be an effective leader in every school. As a Leadership Coach, you will work with our PLUS team and schools in specific to drive systemic change by creating and developing a shared vision of what excellent instruction looks like. You’ll coach aspiring school leaders to operationalize that vision by developing their instructional expertise, management, and personal leadership skills to be successful.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Facilitating weekly goals-based coaching aligned to program priorities and differentiated for individual Resident needs and context
- Contributing to the design of the PLUS residency program structure and content
- Designing and facilitating professional development for PLUS residents and current school leaders serving as Mentor Principals
- Collaborating with Mentor Principals to observe and deliver concrete, actionable feedback to residents
- Cultivating relationships with district and community partners
- Collaborating with all PLUS coaches to develop TNTP’s best practices in leadership development
- Serving as a leader in the local educational sector advocating for improved educational opportunities for children
- Transforming challenges into opportunities – for your team and for your residents
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect the Leadership Coach to:
- Bring a distinguished track record in coaching or school leadership. You have coached school leaders or led schools that achieved great things for their students.
- Demonstrate expertise in facilitating powerful learning experiences for adults. You excel at designing and implementing professional development experiences and have the content expertise to create rich training materials, conceptualize meaningful interactive learning experiences, and facilitate training sessions for school leaders.
- Have stage presence. We’re counting on your strong public presentation skills and ability to provide thoughtful and compelling insights in settings small and large, formal and informal.
- Propose innovative solutions to complex challenges. You have a history of tackling high stakes challenges head on and moving work forward toward successful outcomes. Ambiguity doesn’t overwhelm you; just the opposite, you thrive on it. Your creative instincts will help you deal with vague situations and develop new approaches with limited guidance.
- Influence leaders to act. You’ll regularly interact with and be expected to influence clients – motivating them to make both incremental change and take quantum leaps.
- Previous experience as a principal required, and a proven track record of raising student achievement, preferably in high-need schools or with high-need populations
- Experience coaching and facilitating professional development for school leaders and teachers
- Immediate understanding of what effective teaching looks like and a deep commitment to effective and rigorous instruction
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Common Core State Standards (preferred)
- Ability to track and analyze performance data to uncover trends and act strategically and effectively to improve results
- Ability to communicate compelling feedback that motivates leaders, develops instruction and accelerates student achievement
- Comfort tackling sensitive issues and modeling crucial conversations
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills, including the ability to collaborate, and attain and grow effective partnerships to meet common goals
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance-based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
At TNTP, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. TNTP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
- TNTP: www.tntp.org
- Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
- Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Back to top