Instructional Designer- Part-Time
Use your instructional design and project management skills to develop online learning experiences for teachers.
TNTP seeks a part-time Instructional Designer for our Client Team. This position is based in a home office anywhere in the U.S. or from the TNTP central office in Brooklyn, NY, and is available immediately. Occasional travel is required.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP is helping schools, districts and states to establish policies and practices that prioritize and support effective teaching, every day. TNTP’s Learning Portal is an online platform that houses content-specific training for educators focused on ensuring teachers receive high quality professional development and learning experiences that foster academic excellence for students.
What You’ll Do
As an Instructional Designer, you will manage online learning projects and a group of content-specific course builders and course writers to create high quality online learning experiences for teachers. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage virtual teams of course writers and course builders to produce high quality online learning experiences for teachers
- Manage several projects concurrently through each phase of project management: conception, planning and designing, implementation and evaluation
- Evaluate the quality of instructional design produced by content teams and provide continuous feedback to ensure quality
- Understand the course scope, develop the work plan, manage teams to the work plan over time to ensure the course objectives are met
- Develop a virtual team of course writers and builders by providing continuous feedback
- Implement established design standards using ADDIE, when appropriate
- Ensure on-time delivery of completed projects
- Collaborate with other Instructional Designers and Project Managers to achieve team goals
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Instructional Designers to:
- Manage a project through its full development cycle. You can manage a project in collaboration with course writers and developers through all ADDIE phases.
- Be an expert in online learning. You have a solid understanding of pedagogy, adult learning theories, and industry standard software.
- Have an eye for design. You have the ability to identify good instructional design and articulate its principles and best practices.
- Be detail-oriented. You sweat the small stuff to ensure our courses meet a high-quality bar.
- Be flexible and strategic. You use your analytical skills and design expertise to develop solutions in an ambiguous and fast-paced environment.
- Manage a team to produce quality online courses. You can manage content teams of course writers and developers and offer feedback from your instructional design expertise to improve team outcomes.
- Have the heart of a teacher. You have a track record of supporting the development of your colleagues in learning how to design online coursework.
- Broad set of instructional design skills, including online pedagogy, adult learning theories, user experience and user interface
- Excellent project management skills, including proven life-cycle project management experience
- Experience using Captivate and/or Articulate or similar course offering tools
- Experience with Blackboard or similar LMS
- Previous experience designing or leading professional development required, preferably in an online environment
- Ability to critically assess challenges and identify flexible, effective solutions in ambiguous situations
- Ability to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Ability to work non-standard business hours
- Strong organization skills and excellent written communication skills
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
At TNTP, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. TNTP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Back to top