Instructional Coaches - teachNOLA
Seeking Passionate Instructional Leaders!
TNTP seeks summer Pre-Service Training Instructional Coaches for teachNOLA. This position is based in New Orleans and is available in Summer 2017.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s teachNOLA Teaching Fellows Program is an alternative route to a career in teaching for talented professionals committed to improving the odds for kids by raising student achievement.
teachNOLA prepares Fellows to achieve immediate, measurable success with their students in the fall. Our training approach, called Fast Start, focuses on foundational skills that we believe Fellows must have to ensure a strong start to the school year as a new teacher. During their pre-service training, Fellows rehearse the foundational skills, receive coaching, and practice them with students. Fellows must demonstrate proficiency in these skills in order to successfully complete pre-service training and become a teacher of record in the fall.
What You’ll Do
Instructors customize and lead sessions focused on foundational classroom and instructional skills ensuring Fellows have high quality opportunities to both learn and practice the skills. Specifically you will be expected to:
- Plan and facilitate sessions based on the principles of effective instruction in alignment with the Louisiana Student Standards including:
- Expertly modeling standards-aligned instruction so that Fellows understand the essential components of effective instruction and their impact on student learning
- Leading lesson planning and preparation sessions that support Fellows’ acquisition of instructional planning skills
- Customize and facilitate daily sessions on the fundamentals of student engagement including:
- Expertly modeling techniques to engage students in learning, including Teach Like a Champion techniques,
- Leading practice opportunities of the skills and provide targeted, actionable feedback to Fellows on their practice of the techniques
- Maintaining high levels of session rigor through skillful facilitation
- Identify trends in Fellow performance by visiting Field Experience classrooms, then use the data to customize session delivery.
- Communicate with Teacher Development Coaches to build coaching plans and aligned development experiences
- Meet with other PST team members to plan meaningful training activities and norm on Fellow performance standards
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Instructors are experienced educators who demonstrate a track record of success working with students in high-need schools, hold high expectations for students and teachers, and have strong organizational and communication skills. Ideal candidates will also have:
- Minimum two years of successful teaching experience in high-need subject areas (required)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Louisiana Student Standards and Common Core State Standards (highly preferred)
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques (highly preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Experience and comfort providing direct, in-the-moment feedback to teachers, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate improvement
- Experience in facilitating effective training experiences for adult learners
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Readiness to work non-standard hours over the course of the pre-service training (35 hours per week)
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience in a similar position. Instructional Coaches’ hourly wage can range from $22 – $23 per hour, based on experience.
TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children.
Instructors can expect to attend up to 50 hours of training over multiple days in the spring with additional training hours completed on-line. In the summer Instructors are focused on preparation and direct work with Fellows and can expect a commitment of 50 hours for the first week of pre-service training and 30-40 hours per week for the remaining four weeks of pre-service training.
If you are interested in becoming a Pre-Service Training Instructor for teachNOLA, please submit a resume and one-page cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experience and skills make you a strong candidate to mentor new teachers who are preparing for their first years in high need classrooms?
- What do you believe to be the biggest challenges that will beset the incoming Fellows in their first year and how you will help them to overcome these challenges during the sessions you will lead?
Please submit your application online.
Hiring process: http://tntp.org/join/hiring-process
Back to top