Use your financial acumen to help transform education!
TNTP seeks a full-time Financial Analyst to join our Finance Department. This position can be based from TNTP’s central office in Brooklyn, NY or from a home office anywhere in the United States (Northeast United States is strongly preferred).
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s Finance department is responsible for developing and executing the fiscal strategy for our growing and financially thriving $70M+ organization of 400+ full-time employees across the country. The Finance department is a dynamic team of experts who don’t just report on numbers, they dig into them, proactively make recommendations, and develop and manage progressive systems that keep our organization running strong.
What You’ll Do
The Financial Analyst will play an essential role on the Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) team within the Finance Department. They will work with the Senior Financial Analyst/Director (SFA/Dir) to serve as primary finance partner for a subset of TNTP “Client Services” VPs and their Partners, supporting them in all aspects of financial planning including:
- Developing a Target Budget in conjunction with the org-wide budgeting process
- Monitoring progress against the target budget throughout the year through monthly Budget vs Actual reports and forecasts
- Monitoring pipeline development and progress towards Target Budget financial goals
- Performing ad hoc financial analysis, which may include scenario planning for new and existing business opportunities, staffing metrics, margin analysis etc.
- Training VPs and Partners on financial processes, reporting and division of responsibilities
As a team, the SFA/Dir and Financial Analyst will support TNTP’s business development efforts, including:
- Creating budget models for new business opportunities, grant proposals, and contract renewals, analyzing and recommending alternative financial models as appropriate
- Maintain current proposal and contract finance fields in Salesforce to ensure accurate pipeline reporting
- Review and approve financial language for new contracts through Salesforce
The Financial Analyst will also help to support and review Finance’s Month End Close (MEC) processes for relevant budgets, including:
- Project setup and maintenance for new contracts, services and initiatives, including a thorough understanding of how setup impacts MEC and Forecasting processes
- Review and correct as needed MEC direct expense entries and allocations to ensure accuracy
- Oversee funder allocation process, including accurate expense allocations across grant-funded projects and ensuring proper funder releases and timely drawdowns.
- Flag and/or correct any prior MEC entry errors to maintain accurate financial reporting
Finally, the Financial Analyst will assist with financial and reporting processes including:
- Creating, maintaining and/or updating desktop procedures and onboarding materials as needed
- Contributing to the org-wide budget and quarterly forecasts, including post-budget reporting and presentation preparation
- Improving financial processes including forecasting and reporting tools by helping to: pro-actively flag challenges and potential solutions, create and manage project workplans to implement changes, test new products/reports, and implement in your work
- Assisting in preparing reports on any government or foundation grant expenditures, including the A-133 audit. Collaborating with the Partnerships department in the documentation and narrative.
- Assisting in the development, documentation, and maintenance of accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls as needed
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level
We expect the Financial Analyst to:
- Be thorough and accurate. You will be tasked with reviewing budget data and providing detailed financial analysis for internal clients. You will have strong project management and organizational skills, helping you manage multiple priorities with attention to detail.
- Love Data. You enjoy analyzing financial data and are able to present findings in a clear, actionable way. If you enjoy data, we think you might enjoy working with us (we like other things too, including good food).
- Be a natural problem-solver. You can quickly identify challenges, analyze the root causes, and propose solutions and tools to help staff.
- Provide strong support to TNTP staff. You’ll regularly interact with staff, providing high levels of customer service and motivating them to make changes. You have an ability to communicate directly, concisely and with a balanced tone, on paper and verbally.
- Be willing to step up to the plate. You’re eager to contribute and learn, willing to provide solutions before we even know there are issues. You make ongoing process improvements.
Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, accounting, or equivalent relevant experience
- 1-3 years of experience in finance, accounting, consulting, or operations (preferred)
- Excellent computer skills including intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
- TNTP: www.tntp.org
- Benefits and Hiring Process: http://tntp.org//join
- Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/join/life-at-tntp
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Sara works with TNTP’s talent coaches to train teachers and with school systems to implement effective teacher evaluation systems.
Back to top