Use your finance smarts to help transform education!
This position is based in the TNTP central office in downtown Brooklyn, NY, just near Manhattan. The position requires occasional travel, including one organization-wide conference a year.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s Finance department is responsible for developing and executing the fiscal strategy for our growing and financially thriving $70M+ organization of 400+ full-time employees across the country. The Finance department is a dynamic team of experts who don’t just report on numbers, they dig into them, proactively make recommendations, and develop and manage progressive systems that keep our organization running strong.
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect the Finance Associate to:
- Provide strong support to TNTP staff. You’ll regularly interact with staff, providing high levels of customer service.
- Be thorough and accurate. You will be tasked with cleaning data for integrity, identifying and addressing inconsistencies, and developing solutions for non-linking and missing data. You’re obsessively attentive to detail.
- Embrace technology and a fast-moving organization. Deadlines, changing priorities, new systems and new projects don’t scare you. Instead, they inspire you to rise to the occasion. You can manage multiple responsibilities and priorities.
- Love Data. If you enjoy data and Microsoft Excel, we think you might enjoy working with us (we like other things too, like good food).
- Be willing to step up to the plate. You’re eager to contribute and learn, and willing to help identify solutions before we even know there are issues. You make ongoing improvements.
A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, or a related major is highly preferred for this position.
What You’ll Do
The Finance Associate is responsible for providing high-quality customer service to TNTP staff and maintaining Finance records. The Finance Associate works most closely with the Financial Reporting and Operations team, though may support staff and complete projects across the Finance Department. The role offers strong candidates the opportunity to grow their skills within a central team at TNTP and develop toward their long-term professional goals within the organization.
Specifically, the Finance Associate’s duties will include some of the following:
Oversee TNTP’s expense reporting process
- Ensure all expense reports are entered into Concur in a timely manner
- Review expense reports to ensure that proper support is supplied for all expense reports
- Oversee the Organization’s corporate card program
- Enter journal entries to record expense report activity into TNTP’s financial accounting system
- Cut checks as needed and import check detail into TNTP’s financial accounting system
Assist in TNTP’s Monthly Financial Close:
- Provide support for annual financial statement audit
- Assist in fixed asset accounting, ensuring that capitalization/depreciation policies are followed
- Prepare reconciliations of balance sheet accounts, including, but not limited to, bank reconciliations, prepaid expenses, fixed assets and accounts payable
Communicate with TNTP staff and provide strong staff and Finance Department resources:
- Respond to email inquiries regarding expense report coding
- Provide training to new staff members on TNTPs expense reporting process
- Maintain policies and procedures over the expense reporting processes
Support other processes:
- Assist with annual 1099 processing
- Provide support for annual financial statement audit
- Serve as back-up for the processing and entering of A/P invoices into general ledger system in a timely and accurate manner
Support and engage in a strong department:
- Proactively identify efficiencies and process improvements, working with colleagues where applicable
- Work with the Finance Management Team on other projects across the department as necessary
- Support the Finance team by cross-training on other tasks as needed
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and Hiring Process: http://tntp.org//join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/join/life-at-tntp
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Sara works with TNTP’s talent coaches to train teachers and with school systems to implement effective teacher evaluation systems.
Back to top