Executive Vice President, Talent & Culture
TNTP seeks a full-time Executive Vice President for Talent & Culture. This position is available immediately, will be based in our Brooklyn central office or from a home office anywhere in the United States, and will require travel up to 25%.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation's public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we're a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP's Talent & Culture department acts as a trusted resource and partner in enabling our most important asset: Our People. We are a team of over twenty working to build a strong, inclusive culture that enables TNTP to hire, develop, reward and engage the diverse talent we need to achieve TNTP's ambitious goals for students.
What You'll Do:
As a member of the Executive Team, the Executive Vice President, Talent & Culture develops and leads the execution of a vision for TNTP's long-term people strategy, in which we attract, develop and retain great, diverse talent that consistently enjoys outstanding professional experiences and drives toward continually increasing impact on students, families and communities; you will lead our continuing work to build an inclusive culture and a diverse staff of inclusive leaders; you will act as a key advisor to our core business leaders on hiring, developing, rewarding and engaging TNTP staff; and you will effectively lead the Talent & Culture department to consistently achieve its goals.
- Set TNTP's long-term people strategy. You are a dynamic visionary who can both set and invest others in your vision for an organizational diversity, equity and inclusion strategy that builds a strong, inclusive culture and enables TNTP to hire, develop, engage and reward TNTP's talent. You'll understand the external conditions that affect the organization's work, advocate for change and successfully oversee a short- and long-term people strategy in alignment with TNTP's strategic plan. You'll lead the Executive Team's responsibility to strengthen the engagement and development of TNTP staff through high-quality experiences and access to opportunities for career development at TNTP.
- Ensure TNTP has a strong, equitable and inclusive culture. We're counting on you to inspire TNTP and the Talent & Culture team with a vision for building a diverse staff of inclusive leaders who authentically engage their colleagues, clients and communities. You will draw on your expertise and experience in diversity, equity and inclusion to influence and invest staff at all levels in our commitment to actively listening and seeking to understand differences, learning from our failures, and asking ourselves-and our partners-tough questions to interrupt inequities at every level.
- Act as a strategic business partner on hiring, developing, rewarding and engaging TNTP staff. You will engage with, and be expected to influence, senior level staff around TNTP's people strategy, programs systems, and the development of new Talent & Culture initiatives. You will partner with organizational leaders and Talent & Culture staff to set and attain annual goals for the department and TNTP, and ensure TNTP's leadership and staff have access to the data, information and recommendations they need to be strong leaders and do their best work. You have a strong process orientation and will lead the design of HR processes to become more efficient and effective in alignment with goals and HR best practices.
- Hire, develop, manage and retain talent. One of your greatest responsibilities and privileges will be to hire, onboard, manage and develop TNTP's amazing people. You will manage a department of over 20 staff, including directly managing a team of Talent & Culture Partners and Directors.
What You Bring:
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children's lives through education. You'll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, understand the power of diversity to drive innovation and quality, aspire to lead through inclusion, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Specific qualifications for this role include:
- Proven experience leading a Human Resources organization and/or significant talent initiative or team, including experience with setting the vision and strategy and change management (required)
- Deep expertise in diversity, equity and inclusion and at least one of the following areas: organizational development, talent development, management, or strategic HR practices
- Ability to feel at home working at a visionary/strategic level but be fully willing to roll up your sleeves and dig into tactical work as well
- Prior strong experience managing staff
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills with staff at all levels of an organization
- Ability to overcome barriers and meet goals, especially in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to critically assess challenges and identify flexible, effective solutions
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills allowing you to effectively represent TNTP leadership internally and externally
- Comfort with reviewing data and using it to drive decisions and communication
- Evidence of a strong commitment to ending education inequality
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It's in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Training & Instruction Manager
Joe strives to improve NYC’s education system by training talented new teachers. As a Training & Instruction Manager, he helps to prepare 900 new Teaching Fellows to enter classrooms each year.
Back to top