Director, Talent & Culture
Lead strategies that support an environment where staff from all backgrounds and perspectives can excel.
TNTP seeks a full-time Director in our Talent & Culture Department to lead our internal work on making TNTP a more diverse and inclusive organization. This position may be based in a home office anywhere in the U.S. or from the TNTP central office in Brooklyn, NY, and is available immediately. Regular travel, up to 25%, is required.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
The Talent & Culture (T&C) department works to ensure that TNTP can find, grow, and keep amazing people. We are focused on effective talent management, which TNTP celebrates as an essential lever for success, and strive to create an organization with high levels of staff engagement, where all staff feel passionate about the work and committed to TNTP. We are a team of over twenty, with some of us based in TNTP’s Brooklyn office, and the rest working remotely from home offices across the country.
What You’ll Do
The Director, Talent & Culture will design and execute strategic priorities for evolving and shaping a strong and inclusive organizational culture in alignment with TNTP’s diversity and inclusion strategy.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Leverage organizational development best practices to identify strategic opportunities to shape and strengthen an inclusive culture across TNTP
- Develop and execute a stakeholder engagement plan that builds the investment and capabilities of leaders at all levels at TNTP
- Engage all staff in why diversity and inclusion matters, our diversity and inclusion strategy, and in making connections to individual, team and TNTP’s daily work.
- Shape the organization wide conversation around diversity, equity and inclusion through partnership with communications and various staff affinity groups.
- Strategically leverage data to assess progress towards TNTP’s Diversity and Inclusion goals
- Research and recommend new strategies/actions that reflect best practices on diversity and inclusion
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn both from successes and failures, tackle challenges with enthusiasm, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Directors to:
- Drive organizational change. You have experience driving organizational and cultural change for a mid-sized organization. You’re a strategy setter who can generate innovative and nuanced solutions to complex challenges and provide strategic vision. You effectively implement new initiatives, and can manage the details in order to get results.
- Listen to and invest staff at all levels of TNTP. You are comfortable engaging and investing leaders at all levels of the organization, including executive team members, in your vision for change. You effectively balance the needs of the organization and individual staff experiences to shape a strong and inclusive organizational culture.
- Be comfortable with the unknown. Ambiguity doesn’t overwhelm you; just the opposite, you thrive on it. You can partner with and meet needs across a variety of leaders and organizational contexts.
- Continually develop your expertise. You constantly learn about and seek out new and evolving best practices in diversity and inclusion, and identify intersections with TNTP’s work.
- Experience managing and facilitating organizational change efforts
- Relevant experience in the area of employee relations, organizational development, and general human resources, with several years of specialization in diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of best practices in diversity and inclusion, including comfort in facilitating discussions around topics of race, poverty, and equity
- The ability to establish yourself as at trusted advisor to staff at all levels of an organization
- Comfort and experience leveraging and asking questions about data to determine the right path forward in your work
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
At TNTP, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. TNTP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Back to top