Communications and Operations Associate – NYC Teaching Fellows
Use your communication and organizational skills to help end educational inequality!
TNTP seeks two part-time Communications and Operations Associates for the NYC Teaching Fellows team. This position is based in Brooklyn, New York and is available from March 2017 – September 2017.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
Every year, the NYC Teaching Fellows program (NYCTF) gives outstanding professionals the opportunity to improve the odds for kids by becoming teachers committed to raising student achievement in the classrooms that need them most. Over the past 12 years, NYCTF has provided New York City schools with more than 17,000 high-quality new teachers in high-need subjects.
What You’ll Do
The part-time Communications and Operations Associate will support the program’s ambitious goals to recruit, select and train first-year teachers to transform educational opportunities for NYC’s highest-need students. The Communications and Operations Associate plays a critical role supporting the NYCTF’s training program as it gears up to train over 1100 new teachers in critical shortage subject areas, providing communications and operations support to ensure that Fellows are set up to have a successful training experience.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Acting as the face of New York City Teaching Fellows by providing high-quality customer service in all interactions with applicants, Fellows, TNTP staff, and district partners, to ensure a positive experience with the NYCTF program. You’ll be responsible for in-person, telephone, and email communications.
- Providing operations support for programmatic events, including hiring events, staff trainings, and the annual Welcoming Event for Fellows
- Ensuring NYCTF is on track to meet critical goals by supporting document collection and distribution, and data entry and tracking of program enrollment, testing and certification requirements
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Communications and Operations Associates to:
- Have an unwavering belief that ALL children can learn. A passion for education is essential to being successful in this role.
- Embrace a fast-moving organization. Deadlines, changing priorities and new projects don’t overwhelm you. Instead, they inspire you to rise to the occasion. You’re a fast learner who thinks on your feet.
- Love details, organization and operations. Your impeccable attention to detail will drive your work every day. You handle logistics without missing a beat, are able to manage your time effectively across multiple projects, and ensure your work aligns with and supports key program goals.
- Deliver crisp, clean messages. Whether in writing or on the phone, your communications are articulate and concise. You understand your audience and know how to deliver inspiring messages and tough news with ease and tactful finesse.
Ideal candidates will also have:
- Strong skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- An ability to execute on projects and meet deadlines with quality work
- Willingness to work some Saturdays and/or evenings
- Ability to learn new computer systems quickly
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience in a similar position. Communications and Operations Associates hourly wage will be $22 dollars an hour. TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work each day.
Communications and Operations Associates can expect to work between 20-25 hours/week from March – September 2017.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to Heather Donahue firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email reading “Communications and Operations Associate Application”. Do not submit an application online. In your cover letter please address why you are interested in NYCTF and how your experience has prepared you for this position. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Sara works with TNTP’s talent coaches to train teachers and with school systems to implement effective teacher evaluation systems.
Back to top