Coach Leads - teachNOLA
Seeking Passionate Instructional Leaders!
TNTP seeks summer Coach Leads for teachNOLA. This position is based in New Orleans and is available in Summer 2017.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s teachNOLA Teaching Fellows Program is an alternative route to a career in teaching for talented professionals committed to improving the odds for kids by raising student achievement.
teachNOLA prepares Fellows to achieve immediate, measurable success with their students in the fall. Our training approach, called Fast Start, focuses on foundational skills that we believe Fellows must have to ensure a strong start to the school year as a new teacher. During their pre-service training, Fellows rehearse the foundational skills, receive coaching, and practice them with students. Fellows must demonstrate proficiency in these skills in order to successfully complete pre-service training and become a teacher of record in the fall.
What You’ll Do
Coach Leads are strong leaders who manage a group of pre-service training staff toward ambitious goals and ensure Fellows have meaningful teaching experiences in summer classrooms. As a member of the pre-service training (PST) leadership team, the Coach Lead will be expected to:
- Support the management and training of pre-service training staff
- Manage a team of about 6-8 Coaches or Instructors, including:
- Ensuring each staff member is fulfilling the responsibilities of their role and is motivating Fellows to reach ambitious goals with students
- Providing daily feedback to staff on coaching, facilitation and developing Fellows.
- Modeling best practices by actively coaching in classrooms and facilitating sessions.
- Holding weekly check-ins and staff meetings to develop staff in response to their performance.
- Ensuring that staff members keep accurate and timely records of Fellow performance and that they follow-up on performance and professionalism concerns.
- Conducting formal evaluations of Fellows and ensuring staff are normed on all evaluation tools.
- Act on Fellow performance data to identify trends in teacher performance and potential interventions/strategies for improving individual, group and cohort-wide performance
- Support the planning and smooth execution of the classroom experience component of PST in coordination with school staff
- Establish and reinforce a culture of achievement that drives Fellows to ensure that all students achieve at high levels through all interactions with Fellows and PST team members
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Coach Leads will demonstrate an ability to motivate and inspire adults, strong time management, organizational and communication skills, and a history of high expectations for, and success with, students and teachers. Ideal candidates will also have:
- Minimum of three years of successful teaching experience in high-need subject areas (required)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Louisiana Student Standards and Common Core State Standards (highly preferred)
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques (highly preferred)
- Experience directly managing adults (highly preferred)
- Previous experience working at a pre-service training (highly preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Experience and comfort observing and providing direct feedback to teachers and colleagues, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate improvement
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making
- Readiness to work non-standard hours over the course of the pre-service training
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience in a similar position. Coach Leads hourly wage can range from $23- $24 per hour, based on experience.
TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children.
Coach Leads can expect to attend up to 60 hours of in-person training over multiple days in the spring with additional training hours completed on-line.
In the summer Coach Leads are focused on preparation and direct work with Fellows and can expect a commitment of 55 hours for the first week of pre-service training and 30-50 hours per week for the remaining four weeks of pre-service training.
If you are interested in becoming a Coach Lead for teachNOLA, please submit a resume and one-page cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experience and skills make you a strong candidate to manage new teacher coaches and instructors who are preparing teachers for their first years in high need classrooms?
- What do you believe are biggest challenges pre-service training staff will face in preparing brand new teachers and how you will help your staff overcome these challenges during pre-service training?
Please submit your application online.
Hiring process: http://tntp.org/join/hiring-process
Back to top