Chief of Staff
TNTP seeks a full-time Chief of Staff to partner with TNTP's CEO and Executive Team. This position can be based from a home office anywhere in the United States or from TNTP's offices in Brooklyn, NY and is available immediately. 25- 40% travel is required.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation's public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we're a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
What You'll Do
The Chief of Staff will act as a strategist and consultant in partnership with TNTP's CEO and Executive Team by ensuring TNTP's Executive Team operates effectively and efficiently in formulating and executing organizational direction and strategy, consistent with our core values and in service of our mission.
As the Chief of Staff you will:
- Drive strategy, accountability and innovation by partnering with TNTP's Executive Team to execute their strategy in alignment with goals including:
- Prioritizing critical issues for the CEO to facilitate efficient decision making
- Helping to lead the Executive Team's strategic planning process
- Partnering with TNTP's Executive Team to set and re-examine priorities in an efficient and timely manner
- Ensure Executive Team focus and support for TNTP's diversity, equity and inclusion work
- Aligning the activities of the Executive Team to goals and objectives, from prioritizing the Executive Team's time, to building team cohesion and establishing effective decision-making processes and meeting agendas
- Establishing accountability for decision making and next steps by ensuring the Executive Team identifies clear action steps, owners and a plan for timely follow-up coming out of Executive Team meetings
- Coordinate quarterly step-backs on the Executive Team's and TNTP's organizational goals
- Lead the implementation of critical Executive Team and organization-wide initiatives and decisions, as assigned by the CEO, that require coordination and collaboration across multiple teams, departments and leaders
- Facilitate collaboration across the Executive Team and with other TNTP staff by identifying opportunities to:
- Partner with TNTP's Leadership Team to identify connections between the work of TNTP's Executive Team and the Leadership Team (LT), in collaboration with the Chief of Staff to the Leadership Team and other key teams such as TNTP Affinity Groups
- Increase the transparency of Executive Team decisions across TNTP
- Build trust in, and knowledge of, the work of Executive Team members and the team as a whole across TNTP
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children's lives through education. You'll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, understand the power of diversity to drive innovation and quality, aspire to lead through inclusion, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Specific qualifications include:
- Demonstrated success building and managing complex and nuanced relationships, including the ability to motivate and influence the decisions of TNTP's most senior-level staff
- Demonstrated ability to quickly understand and communicate about complex initiatives
- Excellent project management skills and an ability to work efficiently and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to critically assess challenges and identify innovative, effective solutions in ambiguous situations
- Experience leading complex organizational change efforts, including the ability to develop a clear vision and purposeful strategy to achieve ambitious goals
- Experience developing and managing budgets, including financial forecasting and maximizing revenue
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It's in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Training & Instruction Manager
Joe strives to improve NYC’s education system by training talented new teachers. As a Training & Instruction Manager, he helps to prepare 900 new Teaching Fellows to enter classrooms each year.
Back to top