Chief Financial Officer
TNTP seeks a Chief Financial Officer to join our Executive Team and lead our Finance, Technology, and Legal Departments. You will be responsible for developing and executing the fiscal and key administrative strategy for our growing and financially thriving $70M+ non-profit organization of 400 staff members across the country.
TNTP is a revenue-generating non-profit organization. It utilizes a blended revenue model to sustain and advance its work. A majority of TNTP’s annual revenue comes from contracts with the school districts, charter networks, and states to which it delivers consulting services. Typically, about 30 percent of TNTP’s annual revenue comes from leading philanthropies and TNTP also receives funds from federal grant programs to support specific initiatives. We are a dynamic organization that has grown the number of active engagement by almost 70% in the past 5 years while building off our core talent work to expand into new areas such as academic strategy and community engagement.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national non-profit committed to ending educational inequality by providing excellent teachers to students who need them most and by advancing policies and practices that ensure effective teaching happens in every classroom.
TNTP believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning. Since 1997, we’ve partnered with more than 200 public school districts, charter school networks and state departments of education. We have recruited or trained more than 50,000 teachers, redefined critical education issues through acclaimed studies like The Widget Effect (2009) and The Mirage (2015), and launched one of the nation’s premiere awards for excellent teaching, the Fishman Prize for Superlative Classroom Practice. Today, TNTP is active in more than 30 cities.
What You’ll Do
At TNTP, you will join amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education.
As a member of the Executive Team, the CFO plays a critical role in crafting TNTP’s vision and strategy and enriching TNTP’s culture, all in pursuit of achieving our mission. You will develop TNTP’s long-term financial and operational strategy, acting as a key advisor to our core business leaders, and will lead several thriving Central Operations departments: Finance, Technology Services, and Legal.
TNTP’s Finance department develops and executes TNTP’s financial strategy by proactively making recommendations and developing and managing progressive systems that keep our organization running strong. TNTP’s Technology Services Department supports effective hardware and software use by internal staff, provides technical consulting on client engagements, and develops and manages software solutions that support TNTP services. TNTP’s Legal team provides counsel, guidance and strategic advice on a wide range of substantive areas including employment law, contracts, compliance and risk management. All of these teams are fundamental in supporting our mission.
- Set strategy and vision for TNTP’s sustainability and growth. You have an entrepreneurial mindset, with a desire to identify innovative strategies that ensure our organization maintains financial stability and efficiency while adding key services that our clients want and need. You’ll lead the Executive Team’s responsibility to evolve TNTP’s business/ financial model to best support both our strategic plan and long-term mission. You’ll understand and consider external conditions that affect the organization’s work, actively advocate for change, and successfully oversee short and long-term budgetary planning in alignment with TNTP’s strategic plan. This is especially important as the organization considers strategic growth opportunities and new partnerships.
- Motivate and influence others to act. We’re counting on you to formulate and inspire teams with a vision for financial and operational management. You will clearly communicate complex financial information in a compelling way and gain consensus on operational processes. You will regularly partner with and be expected to influence, senior level staff, with clear and compelling data and reports that will help them make sound decisions about how to deepen and sustain our impact. This is key to helping more schools and districts reach their goals for students.
- Serve as a business partner. You’ll assess organizational performance against TNTP’s annual budget and long-term financial and operational strategy. You will develop tools and systems to provide critical information and actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations to the CEO, Audit Committee of the Board, and TNTP’s Executive Team.
- Hire, develop, manage and retain talent. One of your greatest responsibilities and privileges will be to hire, onboard, manage and develop TNTP’s amazing people. You will directly manage the Vice President – Finance, Vice President -Technology Services and General Counsel. You will work with them to create and lead a work environment across all three teams that ensures operational excellence and reflects TNTP’s unique culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Provide strategic vision and leadership on TNTP’s annual and long-term financial and operational plans, goals, metrics, and policies and regularly evaluate TNTP’s performance against these goals and the annual budget
- In collaboration with organization leaders, identify new business opportunities and demonstrate creativity and dexterity with budgets, contracts, technology tools, and pricing models for both new and existing services
- Partner with the Vice President – Finance to:
- Oversee forecasting and lead our investment plan to ensure TNTP maintains a strong cash position
- Oversee and ensure that all reporting systems meet regulatory and audit requirements
- Partner with the Vice President – Technology Services to:
- Leverage technology to improve the operational efficiency of the organization and scalability of our services
- Identify new business opportunities that may include client-facing technology support and services
- Partner with the General Counsel to:
- Ensure that our contracts maximize our delivery on mission and grow business opportunities
- Minimize and mitigate legal risk for the entire organization
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. If you’ve been pegged as a problem solver, complimented for your communication skills, and proven you thrive in a fast-paced environment, you’ll be right at home here. We’re looking for talented people who learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push themselves, their work and the people around them to the next level.
We are seeking an exceptional leader who brings significant experience and success with financial strategy and is motivated by our mission to help more schools and districts achieve their goals for students. We also are seeking the following qualifications in our candidates:
- Several years of experience working in senior-level positions with mid-size organizations and acting as a thought partner to organizational leaders and key stakeholders
- Experience working in Professional Services and/or nonprofit organizations is highly preferred
- Previous experience leading a Finance department required, and experience leading additional departments, such as Technology Services and Legal, preferred
- Highly effective leadership, analytical and strategy development skills
- Excellent project management and organization skills
- Experience effectively managing staff and developing talent
- The ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced and virtual (flex-location) environment
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity
- Professionalism, discretion, sound judgment, personal integrity and personal accountability
- A willingness to travel up to 25% annually
- Bachelor Degree required, MBA or similar advanced degree preferred
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance-based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where the staff is encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
The person in this position can work from a home office anywhere in the US or from TNTP’s central office in Brooklyn. The position requires approximately 25% travel annually, most frequently to Brooklyn. The ideal start for this position is early 2017.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and Hiring Process: http://tntp.org//join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/join/life-at-tntp
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Sara works with TNTP’s talent coaches to train teachers and with school systems to implement effective teacher evaluation systems.
Back to top