Use your accounting acumen to help transform education!
This position is based in the TNTP central office in downtown Brooklyn, NY, just near Manhattan. The position requires occasional travel, including one organization-wide conference a year.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s Finance department is responsible for developing and executing the fiscal strategy for our growing and financially thriving $70M+ organization of 400+ full-time employees across the country. The Finance department is a dynamic team of experts who don’t just report on numbers, they dig into them, proactively make recommendations, and develop and manage progressive systems that keep our organization running strong.
What You’ll Do
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Accounting Manager will:
Oversee TNTP’s expense reporting and Accounts Payable Invoicing processes:
- Serve as system administrator of Concur, TNTP’s expense report and Accounts Payable invoice processing system
- Oversee the expense reporting process to ensure all expense reports are entered into Concur in a timely manner
- Review expense reports to ensure that proper support is supplied for all expense reports
- Oversee the Organization’s corporate card program
- Review A/P activity to ensure that invoices, payments to consultants, and expense reimbursements are processed in accordance with the Organization’s policies
- Review journal entries to record expense report activity into TNTP’s financial accounting system
- Cut checks as needed and import check detail into TNTP’s financial accounting system
- Manage two accountants on the team who process expense reports and accounts payable invoices
Assist in TNTP’s monthly financial close:
- Prepare monthly journal entries for: cash, fixed assets, accounts payable and investment activity
- Review reconciliations of balance sheet accounts, including, but not limited to, bank reconciliations, prepaid expenses, fixed assets and accounts payable
- Track, review and record private grants in accordance with GAAP
- Prepare allocations to move expenses
- Serve as back-up for accounts receivable processing, including client invoicing and payment follow-up
Communicate with TNTP staff on Finance Department resources:
- Respond to email inquiries regarding expense report coding
- Provide training to new staff members on TNTPs expense reporting process
- Manage Jira cases relating to expense report and accounts payable processes
- Maintain policies and procedures over the expense reporting processes
Support other duties and processes that ensure organizational viability and compliance, such as:
- Oversee annual 1099 processing
- Assist with benefit rate calculations
- Assist with cash flow forecasting
- Provide support with annual liability insurance applications to ensure TNTP secures appropriate insurance for our business needs
- Oversee charitable and state registration applications and renewals
- Provide support for annual financial statement audit
Support and engage in a strong department:
- Proactively identify efficiencies and process improvements, working with colleagues, where applicable
- Work with the Finance Management Team on other projects across the department, as necessary
- Cross-train with Finance Department members to support a variety of tasks, as needed
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect the Accounting Manager to:
- Be thorough and accurate. You will be tasked with cleaning data for integrity, identifying and addressing inconsistencies in our financial operations, and developing solutions. You will have strong project management and organizational skills, helping you manage multiple priorities with attention to detail.
- Love Data. You enjoy analyzing financial data and are able to present findings in a clear, actionable way. If you enjoy data, we think you might enjoy working with us (we like other things too, like good food).
- Be a natural problem-solver. You can quickly identify challenges, analyze the root causes, and propose solutions and tools to help staff.
- Provide strong support to TNTP staff. You’ll regularly interact with staff, providing high levels of customer service and motivating them to make changes. You have an ability to communicate directly, concisely and with a balanced tone, on paper and verbally.
- Be willing to step up to the plate. You’re eager to contribute and learn, willing to provide solutions before we even know there are issues. You make ongoing process improvements.
Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- 3-5 years in nonprofit accounting experience preferred
- Must be proficient in MS Excel, Word and Outlook
- Experience with Microsoft Project, Sharepoint, or other project management tools (a plus)
- Experience with the following financial systems (a plus): ERP systems (e.g., Microsoft Dynamics AX), Atlas, T&E systems (e.g., Concur)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, time management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and take initiative when appropriate
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Hiring process: http://tntp.org/join/hiring-process
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/join/life-at-tntp
Meet Some of TNTP's Employees
Sara works with TNTP’s talent coaches to train teachers and with school systems to implement effective teacher evaluation systems.
Back to top