Sr Engineer, Technical Support (Tier2 Voice Core)
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.comSenior Engineer, Technical Support (Tier2 Voice Core)This position serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) in multiple disciplines to second level (Tier 2) technical support and engineering teams. This position performs consultative support to Tier 2 Voice, Data & IP Platforms in the delivery of highly complex support for T-Mobile's wireless network elements, platforms, systems, applications and services. This position uses professional concepts to carry out expert level diagnostic investigation of customer-impacting network issues and provides technical leadership/guidance and advice to other engineers who are diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairing complex issues within the T-Mobile IMS, GSM/UMTS or UMA Networks. This position identifies technical development opportunities for other engineers, develops and implements technical training programs as needed. This position analyzes design, reliability and maintenance problems to the relevant T-Mobile and vendor organizations and provides design improvement recommendations to improve the customer experience or ease of operation long-term. The required support is performed over a wide array of platforms in the Network including, but not limited to MSS/MGW, MGCF, HLR/HSS, CSCF, BGCF, TAS, LCS, IP, SMS, UNC equipment. This position is the technical lead on the supported systems and platforms. This position works with vendors on providing technical solutions for the system users. This role requires that the engineer participate in an "on call rotation" on an as needed basis to ensure that expert level support is available on a 24x7 basis.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Responsible for building effective working relationships, making sound decisions, successfully making changes, initiating action and achieving results.
- 5-8+ years' experience in Engineering and Operations within the telecommunications industry.
- Expert-level and hands-on experience in one of the following: GSM/UMTS/IMS Core network node and/or their integration to OSS
- Solid understanding of GSM/UMTS and IMS/VoLTE network architecture and their respective specifications/technical realization.
- Recent practical experience applying expert-level knowledge of GSM, UMTS, NGN CS Network Signaling standards, interfaces, and protocols including ISUP, MAP, TCAP, BICC, CAMEL to analyze node log output and inter-node messaging flows. Specific use of internal node debugging tools and external network tracing tools required as well as ability to analyze output independently to isolate equipment and software faults.
- Recent practical experience applying expert-level knowledge of IMS and VoIP Network Signaling standards and protocols including SIP, SDP, RTP, ENUM, DNS, and Diameter to analyze node log output and inter-node messaging flows. Specific use of internal node debugging tools and external network tracing tools required as well as ability to analyze output independently to isolate equipment and software faults.
- Good understanding of IP transport layer protocols like TCP, UDP and SCTP
- Expert-level understanding of Operations and Maintenance procedures and Advanced Troubleshooting techniques across multiple platforms.
- In-depth understanding of End to End Network Call Flow and Tools
- Ability to multitask and effectively handle multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent analytical and technical troubleshooting skills
- Strong vendor management skills, including issue escalation, negotiation of fix delivery dates and management of the service level agreements.
- Must be able to work independently on multiple projects or issues with minimal guidance
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
- Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team. Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills.
- Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs.
- Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Ability to work in a 24x7, on-call environment.
- 3+ years Experience with Mavenir and/or Ericsson MSS/MGW equipment is strongly preferred
- Knowledge and Exposure to VoLTE concepts is a plus.
- 5+ years Experience with Cisco and IP Networking is a plus
- Applies expertise and experience on OSS Systems to achieve proactive Operations and Maintenance of the network.
- Knowledge of SQL database structures, SQL database query writing, Unix shell scripting, and data manipulation.
- Knowledge of different standard interfaces (i.e. CORBA, LDAP, XML).
- Strong Unix/Linux/Oracle/Storage systems knowledge and adept on the related disciplines.
- Bachelors Degree.
- Resolves highly complex technical design or service issues that cannot be resolved through normal operations and maintenance procedures and provides leadership for root cause analysis to drive issue resolution and limits impact to the customer. Assist with RFI/RFP/RFQ processes for new technologies and collaborate with T-Mobile Engineering, Product Development and Vendor technical organizations when required to drive long-term product improvements. The senior engineer is required to engage in vendor management issues, coordinate updates for the national, regional and market teams.
- Independently analyze highly complex technical design or service issues that cannot be resolved through routine or automated operations and maintenance procedures and drive investigations to isolate the root cause for fast resolution and limit customer impact.
- Assist with design processes for new technology introduction (like VoLTE and IMS) and collaborate with T-Mobile Engineering, Product Development and Vendor technical organizations when required to drive long-term product improvements. Engage in vendor management issues, coordinate updates for the national, regional and market teams.
- Develops proactive initiatives geared towards exceeding network KPIs.
- Provides technical guidance to junior Tier2 Engineers for resolution of customer issues to develop the technical troubleshooting and leadership skills throughout the Tier2 organization. Approves technical bulletins written by other members of the Tier 2 organization.
- Devises and delivers training programs and supports documentation to other departments on new operation, maintenance and troubleshooting procedures. Produces technical bulletins in order to provide short term work-around solutions and guidance on current Network issues. This consistently requires a great deal of "out of box" thinking and complex analysis of software problems within the network. Provides leadership to others within the position's team or customers' team.
- Leads Engineering and Vendor teams with the validation of new products and services to ensure trouble free network introduction. This position will provide expert consultative support during major software upgrades as well as recommend network parameter settings.
At least 18 years of age
Legally authorized to work in the United States
High School Diploma or GED
Pre-employment background screenWe Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Meet Some of T-Mobile's Employees
Radio Frequency Engineer
Hendrik upgrades and deploys T-Mobile technologies. He works with contractors to seamlessly implement the latest and most efficient customer-friendly technology specifications across various sites.
Back to top