Sr Engineer, Technical Support (Tier2 USD Operations - TX, WA)
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.comSr Engineer, Technical Support (Tier2 USD Operations)
This position can be based in Snoqualmie, WA or Frisco, TX.
Supports end to end production network and solutions design review, validation, testing and operations acceptance for all new or expansion nodes/platforms or services being introduced into T-Mobile Voice, Data, Messaging and Mobile Internet wireless networks. Performs diagnostic investigation into complex customer-impacting network issues to resolve and identify root causes. Provide technical leadership, guidance and advice to other engineers who are diagnosing, troubleshooting, testing and operating the network. Evaluate and report on design, reliability and maintenance problems to the relevant T-Mobile design or vendor organizations and provide design recommendations to improve the overall customer experience and to drive long-term service improvements. Position serves as primary interface between T-Mobile and its Vendors for technical escalation and problem management of the production network issues and to provide technical solutions for the system and end-users. This position provides Subject Matter Expert (SME) level support in multiple disciplines for end to end production network and solutions design review, validation, testing and operations acceptance for all new or expansion nodes/platforms or services being introduced into T-Mobile Voice, Data, Messaging and Mobile Internet wireless networks. This position uses professional concepts to carry out expert level diagnostic investigation of customer-impacting network issues, identify and resolve the root causes. Provides technical leadership, guidance and advice to other engineers who are diagnosing, troubleshooting and testing complex networks and systems. This position identifies technical development opportunities for other engineers, develops and implements technical training programs as needed. This position analyzes, design, reliability and maintenance problems to the relevant T-Mobile and vendor organizations and provides design improvement recommendations to improve the overall customer experience and drive sustained long-term benefits. Position serves as primary interface between T-Mobile and its Vendors for technical escalation and problem management of the production network issues and to provide technical solutions for the system and end-users. Works on technical assignments that are moderately difficult, requiring judgment in resolving issues or in making recommendations. Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative. Understands implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions. Normally receives little instruction on daily work, general instructions on newly introduced assignments.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
- 5-8+ years Engineering and Operations experience within the telecommunications industry or highly technical industry.
- Advanced knowledge of Core Network Operations and Maintenance
- Advanced level of Technical Support
- Expert-level understanding of Operations and Maintenance procedures and Advanced Troubleshooting techniques across multiple platforms
- Expert-level understanding of system protocols and interfaces that are used within a wireless network
- In-depth understanding of End to End Network Call Flow and Tools
- Ability to multitask and effectively handle multiple competing priorities
- Excellent analytical and technical troubleshooting skills
- Strong vendor management skills, including issue escalation, negotiation of fix delivery dates and management of the service level agreements.
- Must be able to work independently on multiple projects or issues with minimal guidance
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
- Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team. Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills.
- Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs.
- Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Strong understanding of the GSM/IMS/LTE network architecture and its related protocols, specially related to HLR/HSS/EIR and its interworking with other network elements.
- 2 + years working knowledge of database protocols and concepts utilized for Real Time Subscriber Databases (LDAP/SQL), Nokia One-NDS Databases in particular.
- Knowledge of Cisco Core Network Platforms, such as GGSN/PGW or PCRF.
- Sound working knowledge of Linux/Unix.
- UNIX/Linux Scripting, such as Ruby, Python, Perl or Shell and OS Administration.
- Experience in data center environments and monitoring techniques.
- TCP/IP Networking
- Oracle DB, Cisco or Linux Certifications a definite plus.
- Ability to analyze data and provide recommendations to resolve network impacting issue
- Provide leadership and guidance during restoration of customer impacting issues
- Understanding of operational requirements to maintain telecom/data center hardware and software
- Advanced knowledge of Disaster Recovery Handling, End to End Network Design and Planning, Systems Design Validation and Installation, Technical Reporting, Application Design and Development, Core Network Design and Capacity Planning
- Bachelors Degree
Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods. Must be able to communicate (talking, hearing, etc.) with others effectively through oral communication methods. This position requires working with a computer (keyboard/mouse), telephone, and/or calculator; or, other repetitive use of hands.
- Resolves highly complex technical design or service issues that cannot be resolved through normal operations and maintenance procedures and provides leadership for root cause analysis to drive issue resolution and limits impact to the customer. Assist with rpi/rfp/rfq processes for new technologies and collaborate with T-Mobile engineering, product development and vendor technical organizations when required to drive long-term product improvements. The principal engineer is required to engage in vendor management issues, coordinate updates for the national, regional and market teams.
- Develops proactive initiatives geared towards exceeding network KPIs. Approves technical bulletins written by other members of the Tier 2 organization.
- Develops and delivers training programs and supports documentation to other departments on new operation, maintenance and troubleshooting procedures. Produces technical bulletins in order to provide short term work-around solutions and guidance on current Network issues. This consistently requires a great deal of "out of box" thinking and complex analysis of software problems within the network. Provides leadership to others within the position's team or customers' team.
- Leads Engineering and Vendor teams with the validation of new products and services to ensure trouble free network introduction. This position will provide expert consultative support during major software upgrades as well as recommend network parameter settings
At least 18 years of age
Legally authorized to work in the United States
High School Diploma or GED
Pre-employment background screenT-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Meet Some of T-Mobile's Employees
Radio Frequency Engineer
Hendrik upgrades and deploys T-Mobile technologies. He works with contractors to seamlessly implement the latest and most efficient customer-friendly technology specifications across various sites.
Back to top