Sr Engineer, SystDesign & Strategy (Tier2 IP Ops Support - WA/NJ/TX)
As America’s Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NYSE: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company’s advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile US operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. It currently serves approximately 58 million wireless subscribers and provides products and services through 70,000 points of distribution.Sr Engineer, Syst Design & Strategy (Tier2 IP Operations Support)
- This position can be based in either Snoqualmie, WA, Parsippany, NJ or Frisco, TX.
This position serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) in multiple disciplines to second level (Tier 2) technical support and engineering teams. This position performs consultative support to Tier 2 Voice, Data & IP Platforms in the delivery of highly complex support for T-Mobile’s wireless network elements, platforms, systems, applications and services; Internal T-Mobile customers, Data Centers, Call Centers, Retail Stores, NOC’s, MSO’s and RBO’s. This position uses professional concepts to carry out expert level diagnostic investigation of customer-impacting network issues and provides technical leadership/guidance and advice to other engineers who are diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairing complex computer systems. This position identifies technical development opportunities for other engineers, develops and implements technical training programs as needed. This position analyzes design, reliability and maintenance problems to the relevant T-Mobile and vendor organizations and provides design improvement recommendations to improve the customer experience or ease of operation long-term. Participate in Life-lines and assist Tier 2 IP teams/personnel when necessary in implementation and deployment of System Upgrades, both hardware and software. Assist in Tier-Two support of T-Mobile External Partners including outsourced Call Centers. Must have senior level experience troubleshooting network problems in both LAN and WAN environments. Must possess ability to plan, organize, and prioritize tasks adhering to established timelines. This position will work independently and with teams; and must possess excellent communication skills both written and oral. This position is the technical lead on the supported systems and platforms. This position works with vendors on providing technical solutions for the system users.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.Qualifications
- Advanced understanding of Operations and Maintenance procedures and Advanced Troubleshooting techniques across multiple platforms.
- Advanced understanding of system protocols and interfaces that are used within an 802.11a/g/b/n network.
- Hands on experience with Cisco routers/switches running protocols such as BGP, MPLS, OSPF and TCP/IP.
- Ability to lead IP outage bridges and providing concise executive updates in real time during critical incidents.
- Strong Technical Writing and presentation skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Strong proficiency with MS Office
- Must have good interpersonal skills and be able to build consensus across teams
- 5-7+ years Technical Engineering experience (e.g. fault analysis within a routing and switching environment)
- Ability to multitask and effectively handle multiple competing priorities.
- 3-5+ years Technical Project Management
- 5+ years in an Enterprise or Service Provider environment.
- Knowledge of different standard protocols (i.e. DNS, HTTP, LDAP, XML).
- Strong knowledge of different operation systems and adept on the related disciplines.
- Experience with alarming (OpenView, Cacti, MRTG) preferred.
- Strong knowledge of WAN technologies and experience with providers of said technologies.
- Working knowledge of QOS and implementation highly preferred.
- Bachelors Degree.
- In lieu of a degree, experience within the IP networking industry may be considered
License or Certification
- CCNP/CCIE preferred, but not required.
Internal contacts are typically with others at the same level. Will be helping to drive the development and adoption of Engineering System strategy & design. Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods.Essential Functions
- Strong vendor management skills, including issue escalation, negotiation of fix delivery dates and management of the service level agreements.
- System Design: Provide network design documents as required for new system(s) and feature(s) deployment.
- Support Network Validation: Develop lab and FOA test plans for new major releases and key features. Support the feature verification in lab and FOA when design level support is required.
- Feasibility Analysis: Support internal analysis by documenting options and impacts via research and definition of technical requirements.
- SME Operational support: Support the Performance Management, Capacity Planning, troubleshooting and Operational teams for T-Mobile Systems. Roadmap/Vendor Management: Drive vendor Roadmap to ensure T-Mobile requirements are adequately met and close any development gaps. Drive vendors for timely delivery of SW/HW and system features per T-Mobile requirements.
- Be able to drive projects to completion and perform project management duties such as coordination, communication and solve conflicting activities.
- Improve process efficiency by creating and implementing creative and sustainable changes to existing deployment methodology.
- Understand and master new technologies and be able to transfer this knowledge to other engineers and teams through coaching sessions.
- Participate in IP troubleshooting and correctly generate post-mortem analysis of encountered issues.
- Limited travel may be necessary.
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously – By Choice
T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Back to top