Sr Corporate Counsel, Land Use
As America’s Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NYSE: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company’s advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile US operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. It currently serves approximately 58 million wireless subscribers and provides products and services through 70,000 points of distribution.The Senior Corporate Counsel Land Use will work with counterpart clients in T-Mobile’s Engineering department, and with the Government Affairs team, to develop and implement nationwide siting advocacy strategies that promote wireless infrastructure deployment. S/he will be the leader within T-Mobile’s legal department supporting land use, zoning, municipal ordinances, and building permit matters. With a nationwide strategic scope, many of the tactics will play out at the local municipal level. This leader must be able to interpret federal, state and local laws and regulations while understanding the goals and challenges of deploying a wireless network throughout the expansiveness and complexities of the entire country, then take this knowledge to successfully guide and navigate the business and legal teams into successful strategies and tactics to deploy the wireless network timely and at minimal cost. The guidance and navigation will include developing key relationships and understanding with complex local politics and key players to achieve the goal of building out the best wireless network in a manner that benefits T-Mobile and our customers while taking into account the unique challenges at the local level.
- A minimum of 8+ years of directly relevant experience in a corporate in-house and/or law firm environment
- Experience in federal siting law
- Exposure to state and local siting laws including implementing macro and small cell sites in municipal rights of ways and pole attachments
- Professional maturity and the ability to interact with senior management
- Ability to mentor and lead others
- Excellent legal research and analytical skills and experience with managing and advising on complex legal matters
- Excellent drafting and verbal communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to collaborate with other legal and business professionals in a complex organization with a focus on delivering efficient results
- Strong prioritization and execution skills, with a results-oriented customer focus
- Ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines, and balance multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- JD from an accredited university and licensed to practice law
- Develop siting advocacy strategy and tactics for deploying wireless network equipment in cities and counties nationwide.
- Review, analyze and work to change existing and proposed municipal ordinances and zoning codes to better facilitate wireless deployment, while additionally supporting and acting as the subject matter expert to support state and federal existing and proposed laws and regulations.
- Facilitate (via negotiation and/or changes in law) the siting of small cells and other sites within utility, investor owned, and municipal rights of ways and pole attachments.
- Build a national network of lobbyists and outside advocacy specialists to further T-Mobile development interests, while coordinating their activities with the Government Affairs team.
- Create and present land use training materials and conduct regular training sessions for T-Mobile attorneys, development teams and vendors to increase effectiveness and consistency across functions and regions.
- Team with business teams, Government Affairs, and external affairs experts to generate support for T-Mobile’s network development in communities.
- Overcome land use application challenges and establish actionable administrative records in preparation for use in land use appeals / litigation.
- Draft and assist in the negotiation of real estate transaction documents that may impact T-Mobile’s land use requirements.
- Support as the key SME in all land use litigation, with a clear understanding of the law, regulations and case law.
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously – By Choice
T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Meet Some of T-Mobile's Employees
Senior Communications Manager
Janice manages research and communications for T-Mobile’s Enterprise IT Division, produces videos for the internal website, and oversees the technology intern program.
Back to top