Principal Engineer, Systems Design (Emergency and Locations Services)
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.comPrincipal Engineer, Systems Design
(Emergency and Locations Services)
The System Design Engineer's role is to design, validate and deploy technical solutions to maintain, enhance, and evolve T-Mobile's E911, Commercial Location Base and Commercial Mobile Alert Systems/Network/Services. Specific tasks may include the development and maintenance of designs for the network, applications, connectivity, validation plans, monitoring systems, reporting systems and engineering tools. The priority of these designs is to maximize reliability, performance, and efficiency while limiting costs and time to market. Responsibilities may include the evaluation and translation of requirements into design, evaluate design benefits and tradeoffs, validate design compliance and support deployment of the design to ensure the requirements were met. Development of tools may be required in order to most efficiently solve technical or business challenges including technology evolution, capacity management, and performance optimization. Technical documentation and presentation skills are required in order to convey design benefits to a wide range of audiences. Works on technical assignments that are difficult, requiring judgment in resolving issues or in making recommendations. Determines methods and procedures on new assignments. Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative. Understands implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions. Works with minimum supervision on daily work, general instructions on newly introduced assignments. Ideal candidate is highly focused on end to end E911/Commercial Location Based services (Network Infrastructure and Call Flow/Messaging) championing with cross functional leaders always delivering/evolving/advancing emergency and location services for our T-Mobile customers.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
- 7+ Years Technical engineering experience
- Technical Expertise: Proficient understanding of E911 & Value Added services (Multi-Technology) call flow with an advanced understanding of EPS and IMS Network Element relationships to E911 Network Elements, inclusive of call and location delivery methodology with related KPI knowledge. Advanced experience operating call tracing tools deciphering Control and User Plain messaging (IE GSM, UMTS and VoLTE Protocol and Transport with a foundational understanding of IP network Protocol and Transport. Ideal candidate has background utilizing performance tools and has a foundational understanding of program languages.
- Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
- Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure with minimal supervision including the ability to simultaneously support multiple strategically significant tasks under fixed/accelerated deadlines.
- Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team. Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills. The ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences.
- Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs.
- Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Motivational Support: The ability to enhance others' commitment to their work.
- Inspiring Others: Ability to convey confidence in employees' ability to be successful, especially at challenging new tasks; delegating significant responsibility.
- Conceptual Thinking: The ability to find effective solutions by taking a holistic, abstract, or theoretical perspective.
- Strategic Thinking: The ability to analyze the organization's competitive position by considering market and industry trends, existing and potential customers (internal and external), and strengths and weaknesses as compared to competitors.
- Fostering Innovation: The ability to develop, sponsor, or support the introduction of new and improved method, products, procedures, or technologies.
- Foundational understanding of Programming Languages
- Highly Services Orientated of multi-functional services supporting E911, Value Add based services and Wireless Emergency Alert services
- Effectively evaluates organizational tools with a proven track record for improvements/new developments
- Bachelors Degree. Engineering/Computer Science
License or Certification
Preferred: Master's Degree.
Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods. Must be able to communicate (talking, hearing, etc.) with others effectively through oral communication methods. This position requires working with a computer.Essential Functions
- Technical System Expertise: Deep understanding for End-to-End knowledge of wireless network infrastructure, hierarchy and services within multiple technologies. Aware of current technology benefits. Expected to lead teams and deliver complex network designs. Subject matter expert in the building blocks, interactions, dependencies, and tools required to complete design work. Independent study of current technology is expected. Good understanding of adjacent processes and workflows.
- Technical Engineering Services: Drives engineering projects and team members by active contribution to the application of engineering techniques; conducting tests and inspections; preparing reports and calculations. Expected to supervise/coach senior level engineers as needed. Will be expected to present project improvement scenarios to leadership for consideration. Creates procedures and processes to validate and enhance and optimize network. Able to diagnose and redesign based on changing business requirements and objectives. Able to lead others through various scenarios and explain the variance and impact. Able to prepare executive summaries of activities and clearly communicate areas of opportunity.
- Innovation: Develops, designs, and implements new ideas improve existing and new system/process/service. Investigative independent study and problem solving for non-routine tasks. Analyzes existing processes and vendor roadmaps to highlight upcoming technology changes that would make the processes or tools more effective within a given VP function. Drives to improve designs, processes, or product by reducing cost, improving efficiency, or quality. Initiates and facilitates brainstorming sessions and product and process improvement dialogues.
- Technical Writing: Writes advanced documentation, architecture, capabilities, limitations, and advantages for technologies. Creates and modifies clear documentation on existing and new systems. Able to design and communicate technical system specifications and business requirements. Able to present complex ideas to non-technical audience. Creates and presents executive presentations. Participate in industry professional norms.
- Technical Leadership: Monitor and influence relevant industry technologies and standards. Present highly technical concepts to both technical and non-technical decision-makers. Continuously learns, creates content, and teaches others specific subject areas. Informally coaches and contributes to the development of others through mentoring or in house workshops and learning sessions. Coach and develop engineers across functional teams on technology decisions. Influence technology and policy decisions made across the VP organization. Understand financial decisions, including NPV and ROI, based on customer experience/business drivers.
- Technology Strategy: Evaluates new and existing technology options that supports business goals.
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Meet Some of T-Mobile's Employees
Radio Frequency Engineer
Hendrik upgrades and deploys T-Mobile technologies. He works with contractors to seamlessly implement the latest and most efficient customer-friendly technology specifications across various sites.
Back to top