Principal Engineer, Systems Architecture (PaaS Infrastructure)
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.comPrincipal Engineer, Systems Architecture (PaaS infrastructure)
The System Architecture Engineer's role is to develop and evolve technical network and service architectures and design strategies to maintain, enhance, and evolve the T-Mobile Technology portfolio. Specific tasks may include the creation, adaption, or revision of detailed schematics of network and service architecture, hardware and software selections, and implementation techniques and processes.
- Support and enhance business-critical PaaS infrastructure for corporate environments
- Install, configure, integrate, deploy, upgrade, and manage PaaS infrastructure, including but not limited to the following environments: Cloud Foundry, Docker, or other container platforms.
- Research and recommend emerging technologies in partnership with Solutions Architects to meet evolving business requirements
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues for managed software and aid in application integration for PaaS solutions running on VMWare
- Work with teams managing underlying IaaS (AWS and vSphere) to perform capacity planning and to coordinate platform scaling tasks.
- Identify opportunities and create scripts for automating deployments and recurring tasks
- Act as a liaison with solution providers on technical issues and updates
- Create and document technical processes for use by L1&L2 support teams
- Interact and communicate with all levels of an organization including different service delivery partners
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
- 7+ Years Technical engineering experience
- Experience in working with application servers such as Apache, Tomcat, JBoss or nginx
- Experience scripting in Unix shell, PERL, Python or Ruby Expert level understanding of Linux systems and management methodologies, including software packaging
- Experience with OpenStack, AWS or VMware
- Ability to document and diagram technical systems and architectures
- Experience with container orchestrators such as Kubernetes and Cloud Foundry a plus!
- Experience with JMS systems such as ActiveMQ, HornetQ or RabbitMQ
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, MongoDB, and/or Reddis
- Experience with relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Experience with a CI/CD pipeline GIT, Stash, Bit Bucket, Artifactory, Jenkins, etc.
- Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
- Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure with minimal supervision including the ability to simultaneously support multiple strategically significant tasks under fixed/accelerated deadlines.
- Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team. Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships that can provide information, assistance, and support
- Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express self clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills. The ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences.
- Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs
- Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Motivational Support: The ability to enhance others' commitment to their work.
- Recognized subject matter expert in operational and/or business intelligence space.
- Design and architect level experience with relational and dimensional modeling, ETL, data bus architecture, and stream processing.
- Able to develop, articulate, and influence technical strategies and policies across the division.
- Strong demonstrated technical writing and presentation skills.
- Experience designing highly scalable, secure, and high performing systems or software Experience using configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, BOSH, or related automation / orchestration tools
- Experience supporting Operational Support Systems(OSS) and/or Network Management Systems (NMS)
- Intermediate to expert level understanding of complex networks and routing
- Knowledge of OpenStack, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud experience
- A software development or DevOps automation background is a big plus
- Experience working on a team delivering a customer facing product
- Experience with a platform as a service product
- -2+ years' experience with Jenkins, Concourse, Hudson, Bamboo, TeamCity
- Bachelors Degree. Engineering, Computer Science
- In lieu of degree, experience within telecom industry may be considered
- Technical System Expertise: Deep understanding of system parameters, configurations, and how to alter them for desired results. Aware of current technology benefits. Expected to lead teams and deliver complex network and service architecture, design strategies and standards. Subject matter expert in the building blocks, interactions, dependencies, and tools required to complete design work. Independent study of current technology is expected. Good understanding of adjacent processes and workflows. Ability to perform cost/benefit analysis of technology solutions and drive full business case analysis.
- Technical Engineering Services: Drives engineering projects and team members by active contribution to the application of engineering techniques; conducting tests and inspections; preparing reports and calculations. Expected to supervise base through senior level engineers as needed. Will be expected to present project improvement scenarios to management for consideration. Creates procedures and processes to validate and enhance and optimize network architecture. Able to diagnose and redesign based on changing business requirements and objectives. Able to lead others through various scenarios and explain the variance and impact. Able to prepare executive summaries of activities and clearly communicate areas of opportunity.
- Innovation: Develops, designs, and implements new ideas which improve an existing and new system/process/service. Investigative independent study and problem solving for non-routine tasks. Analyzes existing architecture, design strategies, standards, processes and vendor roadmaps to highlight upcoming technology changes that would make the processes or tools more effective within a given VP function. Drives to improve designs, processes, or product by reducing cost, improving efficiency, or quality. Initiates and facilitates brainstorming sessions and product and process improvement dialogues. Initiates and drives cross functional technical investigations to solve business problems and create new business opportunities.
- Technical Writing: Writes advanced documentation, architecture, capabilities, limitations, and advantages for technologies. Creates and modifies clear documentation on existing and new systems and services. Able to design and communicate architecture, design strategies, standards, technical system specifications and business requirements. Able to present complex ideas to non-technical audience. Creates and presents executive presentations that may translate technical issues into business impact. Participate in industry professional forums
- Technical Leadership: Monitor and influence relevant industry technologies and standards. Present highly technical concepts to both technical and non-technical decision-makers. Continuously learns, creates content, and teaches others specific subject areas. Informally coaches and contributes to the development of others through mentoring or in house workshops and learning sessions. Coach and develop engineers across functional teams on technology decisions. Influence technology and policy decisions made across the VP organization related to architecture, design strategies and standards. Understand financial decisions, including NPV and ROI, based on customer experience/business drivers. Owns and drives PoC and technology roadmaps. Influence technology and policy decisions made across VP organization.
- Technology Strategy: Evaluates new and existing technology options that support business goals. Proposes technology position for the company across the VP organization.
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Meet Some of T-Mobile's Employees
Radio Frequency Engineer
Hendrik upgrades and deploys T-Mobile technologies. He works with contractors to seamlessly implement the latest and most efficient customer-friendly technology specifications across various sites.
Back to top