Principal Engineer, Systems Architecture - NFV/SDN Capacity Planning
Principal Engineer, Systems Architecture - NFV/SDN Capacity Planning
The System Architecture Engineer's role is to develop the technical network and service architectures and design strategies to maintain and enhance the Capacity Planning process for the NFV/SDN evolution of our Wireless Core Networks. Specific tasks may include the creation, adaption, or revision of detailed schematics of network and service architecture, hardware and software selections, and implementation techniques and processes. In collaboration with different Engineering teams as well as other business units, the Principal NFV/SDN Core Capacity Planning Engineer will support network evolution initiatives and the incremental and agile implementations of software-enabled solutions for rapidly changing capacity offerings. May be required to perform, evaluate, or interpret network simulation, test results, or leading-edge technology studies. Technical documentation and presentation skills are required in order to translate complex ideas to a wide range of audience and influence and drive industry forums. Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative. Understands implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions. Normally receives little instruction on daily work, general instructions on newly introduced assignments.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing and results focus.
- Support large NFV Capacity deployments with Quality that matches and surpasses FNE equivalents by leveraging knowledge across the entire virtualization stack and the enablers of Layer Abstraction.
- Support Virtualization scope expansions with Dynamic Capacity Structures for emerging segments like 5G, IoT and other novel Applications, as well as established consumer and business ecosystems.
- Actively enable Agility and Automation opportunities of NFV MANO, unleashing the potential of rapid capacity-architecture re-shaping for proactive improvements on latency, speed and reliability.
- Contribute to the strategic vision for the network and services evolution through the NCP (National Capacity Plan) on collaboration with Engineering Design, Finance and National Capacity Strategy counterparts.
- Design and provide 5-year capacity plans and reports for Wireless Core network elements of the T-Mobile network, ensuring appropriate planning and funding for new services and technologies.
- Evaluate and assess the Core network impact and cost from network changes and the introduction of new services or platforms into the network.
- Prepare and analyze data for network insights; communicate insights to influence business decisions and to adapt the marketing strategy of sales, new services, or new plans as well as customer experience improvement.
- Apply statistical and mathematical skills to identify traffic trends and profiles and analyze drivers to improve the overall network management process.
- Work with national teams to best dimension the core network for optimal tradeoffs between cost and quality.
- Technical System Expertise: Understands system protocols, how systems operate and data flows. Aware of current technology benefits. Expected to lead and deliver complex network and service architecture, design strategies and standards. Deep understanding of the building blocks, interactions, dependencies, and tools required to complete design work. Independent study of current technology is expected. Ability to translate complex technical issues in terms of business impact and business benefits.
- Innovation: Contributes to designs to implement new ideas which improve an existing and new system/process/service. Understands and can apply new industry perspectives to our existing business model. Review existing architecture, design strategies, standards, and processes to highlight more efficient ways to complete existing workload more effectively through industry perspectives. Seeks opportunities to improve designs, processes, or product by reducing cost, improving efficiency, or quality. Proactively contributes during brainstorming sessions. Drives investigations, leading to new technology concepts that may solve business problems.
- Technical Writing: Maintains knowledge of existing technology documents. Writes basic documentation on how technology works. Contributes clear documentation on multiple systems and services used. Able to document systems architecture, design strategies, standards, business requirements and technical interpretation. Develops and provides technical data for incorporation into internal presentations that may translate technical issues into business impact.
- Technical Leadership: Collaborates with technical teams and utilizes system expertise to deliver technical solutions. Continuously learns and teaches others existing and new technologies. Contributes to the development of others through mentoring or in-house workshops and learning sessions. Influence technology and policy decisions made across the appropriate functional organization around architecture, design strategies and standards. Drives lab and field trial activities in support of Proof of Concept.
- Technology Strategy: Contributes to new and existing technology options that support business goals. Evaluates technologies and proposes technology position for the company within own VP organization.
- 7+ Years Technical engineering experience
- Understanding of applicable Wireless industry standards. E.g. 3GPP, ITUT, ANSI, etc.
- Robust knowledge of 3G/4G/5G technologies, particularly Wireless Core Networks (IP Networks is a plus).
- Strong knowledge of IMS Core Systems & Applications, VOLTE & RCS.
- Strong knowledge of Packet Core Systems.
- Knowledge of SDN/NFV and stack implementation alternatives.
- Software Architecture proficiency including Cloud Computing is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of MS SQL Server and Business Intelligence platforms.
- Knowledge of Big Data Processing and Data Analytics experience is a plus (Knowledge of Tableau is a definite plus).
- Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
- Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure with minimal supervision including the ability to simultaneously support multiple strategically significant tasks under fixed/accelerated deadlines.
- Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team. Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships that can provide information, assistance, and support
- Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express self clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills. The ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences.
- Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs
- Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
- Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Motivational Support: The ability to enhance others' commitment to their work.
- Bachelors Degree. Engineering, Computer Science
License or Certification
Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods. Must be able to communicate (talking, hearing, etc.) with others effectively through oral communication methods. This position requires working with a computer (k
T-Mobile US, Inc. offers a full range of comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, as well as matching 401(k), generous paid time off programs, phone service discounts, tuition reimbursement, free parking - not to mention a fun and business casual work environment.
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.com
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice
T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Back to top