Principal Engineer, Platform Messaging Services
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.comPrincipal Engineer, Platform Messaging Services
As a Platform Messaging Services Engineer, you will be a part of a team that maintains and improves T-Mobile platform as a service. Messaging is a critical part of modern software architecture and our team provides support for both the platform and our customers.
Your responsibility will be to ensure our messaging services are built to be highly-available and capable of meeting capacity requirements.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
- 7+ Years Technical engineering experience
- Proficiency with a scripting or programming language, such as Shell, Python, Ruby, Java, Node, Golang, or Perl
- Experience working with Kafka in a multi-datacenter environment
- Experience with clustered/grid architectures and associated HA, workload management, and DR practices
- Experience with git or a similar VCS
- Experience working with configuration management tools like Chef, Ansible, Puppet, BOSH, or similar to deliver messaging services
- Intermediate understanding of load balancing, DNS, and health checks.
- Expert level experience with enterprise level messaging products
- Expert level experience with RabbitMQ
- Expert understanding of Linux/Unix systems and management methodologies
- Experience with CloudFoundry and/or Pivotal CloudFoundry a plus
- Experience with pipeline CI/CD tools such as Concourse/Jenkins
- Bachelors Degree. Engineering/Computer Science. (Relevant work experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.)
- Technical System Expertise: Deep understanding of system parameters, configurations, and how to alter them for desired results. Aware of current technology benefits. Expected to lead teams and deliver complex network designs. Subject matter expert in the building blocks, interactions, dependencies, and tools required to complete design work. Independent study of current technology is expected. Good understanding of adjacent processes and workflows.
- Technical Engineering Services: Drives engineering projects and team members by active contribution to the application of engineering techniques; conducting tests and inspections; preparing reports and calculations. Expected to supervise base through senior level engineers as needed. Will be expected to present project improvement scenarios to management for consideration. Creates procedures and processes to validate and enhance and optimize network. Able to diagnose and redesign based on changing business requirements and objectives. Able to lead others through various scenarios and explain the variance and impact. Able to prepare executive summaries of activities and clearly communicate areas of opportunity.
- Innovation: Develops, designs, and implements new ideas which improve an existing and new system/process/service. Investigative independent study and problem solving for non-routine tasks. Analyzes existing processes and vendor roadmaps to highlight upcoming technology changes that would make the processes or tools more effective within a given VP function. Drives to improve designs, processes, or product by reducing cost, improving efficiency, or quality. Initiates and facilitates brainstorming sessions and product and process improvement dialogues.
- Technical Writing: Writes advanced documentation, architecture, capabilities, limitations, and advantages for technologies. Creates and modifies clear documentation on existing and new systems. Able to design and communicate technical system specifications and business requirements. Able to present complex ideas to non-technical audience. Creates and presents executive presentations. Participate in industry professional norms.
- Technical Leadership: Monitor and influence relevant industry technologies and standards. Present highly technical concepts to both technical and non-technical decision-makers. Continuously learns, creates content, and teaches others specific subject areas. Informally coaches and contributes to the development of others through mentoring or in house workshops and learning sessions. Coach and develop engineers across functional teams on technology decisions. Influence technology and policy decisions made across the VP organization. Understand financial decisions, including NPV and ROI, based on customer experience/business drivers.
- Technology Strategy: Evaluates new and existing technology options that supports business goals.
- Supplemental Region/Market Functions: Design, deploy, and support messaging service for T-Mobile's PaaS. Develop ideal architecture for on-demand messaging clusters consumed by PaaS customers. Assist customers with proper messaging architecture for their applications. Serve as a technical resource for teams on-boarding or running applications consuming messaging services on the platform. Promote cross-team collaboration. Mentor team members on best practices in areas of expertise. Grasp and communicate big-picture enterprise-wide issues to team. Determine how to leverage technology to create solutions that satisfy the business requirements.
T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Meet Some of T-Mobile's Employees
Radio Frequency Engineer
Hendrik upgrades and deploys T-Mobile technologies. He works with contractors to seamlessly implement the latest and most efficient customer-friendly technology specifications across various sites.
Back to top