Principal Engineer, Platform Architecture
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.comPrincipal Engineer, Platform Architecture
As a Platform Architect, you will be part of a team that maintains and improves T-Mobile's Platform-as-a-Service offering. Our focus is on automation and efficiency-our solutions need to scale to support the rapidly growing Digital Transformation initiative. Our internal customers are our number one priority, and improving their experience and ability to deliver is how we measure success.
Our Platform Architects need to be self-directed and understand enterprise customer expectations. As a Principal Engineer, you're expected to enjoy working with like-minded people and find opportunities to share knowledge and help others grow.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
- 7+ Years Technical engineering experience
- Proficiency with a scripting or programming language, such as Shell, Python, Ruby, Java, Node, Golang, or Perl
- Experience with container orchestration platforms such as CloudFoundry, Kubernetes, or Docker Swarm
- Experience with OpenStack, AWS, or VMWare
- Experience with CI/CD Pipeline systems like Jenkins, Concourse, Hudson, Bamboo
- Experience with messaging services such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Experience with database systems such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis, GemFire, Cassandra
- Solid understanding of git or a similar VC
- Expert understanding of Linux/Unix systems and management methodologies
- Experience in building distributed systems or running infrastructure at scale
- Experience designing highly scalable, secure, and high performing systems or software
- Experience using configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, BOSH, or related automation / orchestration tools
- Experience supporting Operational Support Systems(OSS) and/or Network Management Systems (NMS)
- Experience working on a team delivering a customer facing product
- Experience with a platform as a service product
- Experience with monitoring technologies such as TSDBs, StatsD, Grafana, Datadog
- Knowledge of OpenStack, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud experience
- Proficiency with Golang
- A software development or DevOps automation background is a big plus
- Intermediate to expert level understanding of complex networks and routing
- Solid experience with Concourse
- Bachelors Degree. Engineering/Computer Science. (Relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of degree.)
- Technical System Expertise: Deep understanding of system parameters, configurations, and how to alter them for desired results. Aware of current technology benefits. Expected to lead teams and deliver complex network designs. Subject matter expert in the building blocks, interactions, dependencies, and tools required to complete design work. Independent study of current technology is expected. Good understanding of adjacent processes and workflows.
- Technical Engineering Services: Drives engineering projects and team members by active contribution to the application of engineering techniques; conducting tests and inspections; preparing reports and calculations. Expected to supervise base through senior level engineers as needed. Will be expected to present project improvement scenarios to management for consideration. Creates procedures and processes to validate and enhance and optimize network. Able to diagnose and redesign based on changing business requirements and objectives. Able to lead others through various scenarios and explain the variance and impact. Able to prepare executive summaries of activities and clearly communicate areas of opportunity.
- Innovation: Develops, designs, and implements new ideas which improve an existing and new system/process/service. Investigative independent study and problem solving for non-routine tasks. Analyzes existing processes and vendor roadmaps to highlight upcoming technology changes that would make the processes or tools more effective within a given VP function. Drives to improve designs, processes, or product by reducing cost, improving efficiency, or quality. Initiates and facilitates brainstorming sessions and product and process improvement dialogues.
- Technical Writing: Writes advanced documentation, architecture, capabilities, limitations, and advantages for technologies. Creates and modifies clear documentation on existing and new systems. Able to design and communicate technical system specifications and business requirements. Able to present complex ideas to non-technical audience. Creates and presents executive presentations. Participate in industry professional norms.
- Technical Leadership: Monitor and influence relevant industry technologies and standards. Present highly technical concepts to both technical and non-technical decision-makers. Continuously learns, creates content, and teaches others specific subject areas. Informally coaches and contributes to the development of others through mentoring or in house workshops and learning sessions. Coach and develop engineers across functional teams on technology decisions. Influence technology and policy decisions made across the VP organization. Understand financial decisions, including NPV and ROI, based on customer experience/business drivers.
- Technology Strategy: Evaluates new and existing technology options that supports business goals.
- Supplemental Region/Market Functions: Install, configure, deploy, upgrade, and manage PaaS, including but not limited to the following environments: Cloud Foundry, Docker, or other container platforms. Research and recommend emerging technologies in partnership with Solutions Architects to meet evolving business requirements. Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues for managed software and aid in application integration for PaaS solutions running on VMWare. Work with teams managing underlying IaaS (AWS and vSphere) to perform capacity planning and to coordinate platform scaling tasks. Identify opportunities for automation of recurring tasks and develop supportable solutions. Create and document technical processes for use by L1&L2 support teams. Develop proactive monitoring for all aspects of the platform. Interact and communicate with all levels of an organization including different service delivery partners.
T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Meet Some of T-Mobile's Employees
Radio Frequency Engineer
Hendrik upgrades and deploys T-Mobile technologies. He works with contractors to seamlessly implement the latest and most efficient customer-friendly technology specifications across various sites.
Back to top