Engineer, Technical Support (Tier2 USD Projects Deployment)
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.comEngineer, Technical Support (Tier2 USD Projects Deployment)
Supports end to end production network and solutions design review, validation, testing and operations acceptance for all new or expansion nodes/platforms or services being introduced into T-Mobile Voice, Data, Messaging and Mobile Internet wireless networks. Performs diagnostic investigation into complex customer-impacting network issues to resolve and identify root causes. Provide technical leadership, guidance and advice to other engineers who are diagnosing, troubleshooting, testing and operating the network. Evaluate and report on design, reliability and maintenance problems to the relevant T-Mobile design or vendor organizations and provide design recommendations to improve the overall customer experience and to drive long-term service improvements. Position serves as interface between T-Mobile, Vendors and Engineering for enforcing deployment policies and procedures for all network changes. Responsible for reviewing procedures and methods in support of the USD network elements. This position provides Subject Matter Expert (SME) level support for end to end production network and solutions design review, validation, testing and operations acceptance for all new or expansion nodes/platforms or services being introduced into T-Mobile Voice, Data, Messaging and Mobile Internet wireless networks. Performs diagnostic investigation into complex customer-impacting network issues to resolve and identify root causes. Provide technical leadership, guidance and advice to other engineers who are diagnosing, troubleshooting, testing and operating the network. Evaluate and report on design, reliability and maintenance problems to the relevant T-Mobile design or vendor organizations and provide design recommendations to improve the overall customer experience and to drive long-term service improvements. Position serves as primary interface between T-Mobile and its Vendors for technical escalation and problem management of the production network issues and to provide technical solutions for the system and end-users. Works on technical assignments that are semi routine in nature but recognizes that need for occasional deviation from accepted practice. Normally follows established procedures on routine work, requires instructions only on new assignments.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
- 3-5+ years Engineering or Operations experience within the telecommunications/highly technical industry
- Sound knowledge of the Wireless Network Architecture, Technologies and concepts.
- Knowledge of the applicable Wireless industry standards 3GPP, ITUT, ANSI, ETSI, etc.
- Knowledge of Wireless Mobile Internet, Data and Messaging applications
- Advanced analytics and problem solving skills
- Solid understanding of Operations and Maintenance procedures
- Self-motivated and able to work independently even under pressure situations
- Must have good interpersonal skills and be able to build consensus across teams
- Ability to work cross functionally to identify and resolve network faults/issues
- TCP/IP Networking
- Skilled in Technical Reporting
- Skilled in Technical Support or troubleshooting
- Working knowledge of Application Design and Development
- Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
- Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team.
- Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills.
- Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs.
- Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- May on occasion, be required to support troubleshooting and escalation issues outside of the normal working hours, including evening, night and weekends.
- Strong understanding of the GSM/IMS/LTE network architecture and its related protocols, specially related to HLR/HSS/EIR and its interworking with other network elements.
- 2 + years working knowledge of database protocols and concepts utilized for Real Time Subscriber Databases (LDAP/SQL), Nokia One-NDS Databases in particular.
- Experience with virtualization and/or cloud based computing
- UNIX/Linux Scripting and OS Administration
- Working knowledge of Sharepoint and PowerBI web based tools.
- 2+ years working knowledge of Nokia GMLC platform.
- Experience in data center environments and monitoring techniques.
- Oracle DB, Cisco or Linux Certifications a definite plus.
- Ability to analyze data and provide recommendations to resolve network impacting issue
- Working knowledge of Backhaul Design and Capacity Planning, Backhaul System Performance, Core Network Design and Capacity Planning, Core Network Operations and Maintenance, Disaster Recovery Handling, End to End Network Design and planning, Systems Design Validation and Installation.
- Bachelors Degree
Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods. Must be able to communicate (talking, hearing, etc.) with others effectively through oral communication methods. This position requires working with a computer (keyboard/mouse), telephone, and/or calculator; or, other repetitive use of hands.
- Support operations teams to resolve technical issues that cannot be resolved through normal operations and maintenance procedures and provide leadership on outage calls in order to drive issue resolution and limit impact to the customer. Ensures compliance to T-Mobile's outage reporting process and collaborate with engineering, product development and the vendor technical organizations when required in order to drive long-term product improvements.
- Provide guidance to Vendors and Engineering on the processes and methodology required for USD network deployment. Understand the procedures and requirements for deployment and changes to the USD network. Create technical presentations to convey requirements and expectations to operations, engineering and vendors.
- Provides technical guidance to junior Tier2 Engineers during resolution of customer issues to develop the technical troubleshooting and leadership skills throughout the Tier2 organization. Ensures that performance goals are maintained across the team. Approves technical bulletins written by junior members of the Tier2 organization.
- Supports the development and delivery of training programs and supports documentation to other departments on new operation, maintenance and troubleshooting procedures. Produces technical bulletins in order to provide short term work-around solutions and guidance on current Network issues. This requires some "out of box" thinking and analysis of software problems within the network. Provides mentoring to others within the position's team or customers' team.
- Provides guidance to Engineering and Vendor teams with the validation and deployment of new products and services to ensure trouble free network changes. This position will provide expert on-site and remote support during major software upgrades as well as validate and implement parameter changes within the network. This includes exercising discretion in regard to potential fallback scenarios should network changes cause customer impact.
At least 18 years of age. Legally authorized to work in the United States. High School Diploma or GED. Pre-employment background screen.T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Meet Some of T-Mobile's Employees
Radio Frequency Engineer
Hendrik upgrades and deploys T-Mobile technologies. He works with contractors to seamlessly implement the latest and most efficient customer-friendly technology specifications across various sites.
Back to top