Engineer, Technical Support (Tier2 Customer Access and Provisioning)
Engineer, Technical Support (Tier2 Customer Access and Provisioning)
This position serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) within the second level (Tier2) technical support team. This position carries out expert level diagnostic investigation for highly-complex issues or issues with substantial service impact and collaborate with peer support teams to generate a support plan to resolve the issue in the shortest timeframe possible. This person provides technical leadership to engineers and technicians who are diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairing issues within the T-Mobile GSM, UMTS or Data Networks. This role provides design recommendations to the relevant T-Mobile engineering organization to improve the customer experience or ease of operation long-term. The required support is performed over a wide array of platforms in the Network including, but not limited to IP, GPRS, WAP, WebLogic, Database, E-mail or Game Download Services equipment. This position is the primary interface between T-Mobile and the Vendor and, as such, requires the engineer to manage day-to-day compliance to the support service level agreements.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
Resolves technical issues that cannot be resolved through normal operations and maintenance procedures and provide leadership on outage calls in order to drive issue resolution and limit impact to the customer. Ensures compliance to T-Mobile's Outage Reporting Process and collaborate with Engineering, Product Development and the vendor technical organizations when required in order to drive long-term product improvements. This role requires that the engineer participate in an "on call rotation" on an as needed basis to ensure that expert level support is available on a 24x7 basis.
Provides technical guidance to junior Tier2 Engineers during resolution of customer issues to develop the technical troubleshooting and leadership skills throughout the Tier2 organization. Ensures that performance goals are maintained across the team. Approves technical bulletins written by junior members of the Tier2 organization.
Supports the development and delivery of training programs and supports documentation to other departments on new operation, maintenance and troubleshooting procedures. Produces technical bulletins in order to provide short term work-around solutions and guidance on current Network issues. This requires some "out of box" thinking and analysis of software problems within the network. Provides mentoring to others within the position's team or customers' team.
Provides guidance to Engineering and Vendor teams with the validation and deployment of new products and services to ensure trouble free network changes. This position will provide expert on-site and remote support during major software upgrades as well as validate and implement parameter changes within the network. This includes exercising discretion in regard to potential fallback scenarios should network changes cause customer impact.
- 3-5+ years Engineering or Operations experience within the telecommunications/highly technical industry
- 2+ years Unix/Linux
- 2+ years scripting
- Basic knowledge of SMPP and IP protocols.
- Advanced knowledge of load balancing and proxy services.
- Solid understanding of Operations and Maintenance procedures and Advanced Troubleshooting techniques across Proxy, Load balancing, IP and Application services.
- Ability to multitask and effectively handle multiple competing priorities.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills.
- Advanced level vendor management skills, including issue escalation, negotiation of fix delivery dates and management of the service level agreements.
- Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
- Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team.
- Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills.
- Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs.
- Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- Ability to work in a 24x7, on-call environment.
- 2+ years Weblogic Applications preferred.
- 2+ years Load balancing and proxy servers preferred.
- Basic knowledge of LDAP OUD structure, SQL database structures, SQL database query writing, Unix shell scripting, Perl, Java scripts, Ansible and data manipulation.
- Basic knowledge of different standard interfaces (i.e. CORBA, LDAP, XML).
- Advanced Unix/Linux/Oracle/Storage systems knowledge and adept on the related disciplines.
- 2+ years Experience with the particular vendor equipment for which the position is posted is strongly preferred
- 2+ years experience with Cisco and IP Networking is a plus
- GSM experience is a plus
- Bachelors Degree.
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years experience within the telecom/highly technical industry may be considered.
Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods. Must be able to communicate (talking, hearing, etc.) with others effectively through oral communication methods. This position requires working with a computer (keyboard/mouse), telephone, and/or calculator; or, other repetitive use of hands.
At least 18 years of age. Legally authorized to work in the United States. High School Diploma or GED. Pre-employment background screen.
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.com
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice
T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.
Back to top