Senior DevOps Engineer
San Diego, CA
As a senior member of the Dev/Ops team you will apply your talents to mentor more junior engineers and help build the tooling used in software deployments, monitoring and cloud infrastructure that powers online ordering, payments & loyalty programs for many of the largest brands in the quick service and casual dining industry. Your creativity and skills will directly support a platform that processes millions of transactions for Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Burger King, KFC, Dominos, and others as we scale globally.
You’ll be depended upon to provide innovative approaches to configuration management and continuous deployment. This is a role that demands a motivated & self-directed engineer who is ready to embrace challenges and solves problems large or small with the big picture in mind while being highly detailed in execution and follow-through; communicates effective verbally and in writing; and, pushes fellow team members to think about problems and solutions in new ways.
What you’ll do
- Build, monitor and scale our infrastructure during a period of rapid growth
- Tackle complex infrastructure challenges with creative automation and configuration management solutions
- Build and support application environments that are deeply integrated with AWS
- Build custom tools and instrumentation to ensure service availability
- Help improve and expand the coverage of deployment automation
- Implement custom monitoring across the entire application stack, including 3rd party APIs and Point of Sale systems
- Work with partners and vendors on technical improvements and fixes
- Constantly research new technology and techniques that will benefit the team, the company, and its clients
- Mentor more junior team members to grow their skillsets
Who we’re looking for
- You are comfortable working in AWS and understand the unique performance and operational characteristics of applications that run there
- You think of infrastructure as code
- You’re comfortable troubleshooting JVM-based distributed systems & web services in a high-traffic, high-visibility environment
- You can creatively solve complex customer or internal business requirements
- You’re capable of scripting or automating your way through challenges that span multiple systems and environments
- You understand how crippling technical debt can be and you’re guided by an unwavering desire to avoid it
- You are experienced in Ruby, Python, Bash and you can demonstrate advanced expertise in at least one of these languages
- You understand performance tuning concepts and how they apply to high-traffic web & mobile application environments
- By habit, you track and document your work with tools like JIRA & Confluence and you communicate frequently via HipChat & email
- BSCS or similar field degree is required.
Technologies you are familiar with:
The more hands-on experience you have with the following technologies the better, and where you don’t have it all, you’ll be able to discuss it intelligently and put new learnings into action:
- Amazon Web Services – we make heavy use of Multi-AZ VPCs, ELB, RDS, S3, and CloudFront and we automatically provision entire environments using tools like Terraform
- Linux – having advanced system administration skills is a requirement
- Jenkins – we use it for CI, builds, and deployment
- Chef – we use it to maintain system configuration state and deploy our software to multiple environments
- Sensu – highly programmable monitoring framework ideal for ephemeral environments like AWS
- Centralized logging tools such as Splunk, Logstash, Graylog, Scribe, Fluentd
- Metrics collection using Graphite, Statsd, New Relic, collectd, Boundary, Datadog, etc.
- HTTP servers and load balancers such as Nginx, Apache, Tomcat, HAProxy, F5
Tillster is the global leader in digital ordering and customer engagement solutions. For over a decade we’ve developed revolutionary self-service, ordering and payments solutions – for mobile, tablet, online, kiosk, call center, and more – creating personalized interactions based on consumer preferences, language, and currency. Our platform is compatible with 15+ unique POS systems, representing over 90% coverage in multi-unit restaurants. We offer one platform; one scalable, enterprise class solution – to create world-class digital engagement solutions. For more information, check us out at http://www.tillster.com.
Tillster is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer
Local Candidates Strongly Preferred
Relocation Assistance Considered
No visa sponsorship
Principals only – no Agencies or calls please
Meet Some of Tillster's Employees
Senior Director, Strategic Accounts
Ken oversees Tillster’s strategic accounts, helping his clients achieve continued success. He ensures that business customers enjoy and get the most out of the Tillster technology.
Back to top