Sr. DevOps Engineer
- Vancouver, Canada
We’re looking for open-minded individuals who want to expand the ways technology can help people. We work fast, collaborate, and celebrate as a team. We’re united by a commitment to shaping Tile’s culture around the needs of our colleagues and customers, and by our desire to build a diverse and welcoming workplace.
At Tile, we’re building a world where everything that matters can be found. Our services help people find millions of lost belongings every day. Now, we’re exploring new ways to ensure peace of mind. The Tile subscription provides reassurance for the long-haul. And we’re expanding our reach through major partnerships, bringing Tile technology to everything from headphones to travel gear. There are countless ways to use a Tile. We face a striking range of opportunities. But we abide by a simple creed: Together we find.
Our small but mighty team pioneered the idea of the finder, and our leaders draw on their deep experience defining and growing new markets. We’re united by a commitment to shaping Tile’s culture around the needs of our colleagues and customers, and by our desire to build a diverse and welcoming workplace for future Tilers of all stripes. We designed our values together, and now they inform everything we do—from hiring and performance reviews to product decisions and partnerships. We’re proud of our Great Place to Work certification and proud to have support from Bessemer Venture Partners, GGV Capital, and Francisco Partners.
About the role
We are looking for a talented and motivated engineer to work on our server infrastructure focusing on performance, reliability, health, security, and scalability. You will be responsible for ensuring that our various server systems and infrastructure remain stable and modern. You will also write tools and scripts to help you automate deployment, support and other necessary operations.
You are the kind of engineer that looks at tough or expensive challenges, and figures out ingenious solutions. Whether it’s Java, Scala, Python, Bash or the AWS console, you use the best of many tools to achieve the results you need. If there’s no good way to do something, you create software to do it.
You’re not afraid of working in a large-scale setting, and can dig into the data if there’s any ad-hoc need for it.
You have a background in writing code, and can move into new languages if needed.
You are known for being dependable, a reliable problem solver, and are a tech detective, if something is broken you find it and fix it, aided by the structure you’ve set up.
Challenges you would help solve:
- Drive towards automating everything
- Monitor the various Tile server infrastructure systems and ensure their stability.
- Own CI/CD, and overall administration of the entire distributed system.
- Drive towards efficient, scalable architectures for the Tile server infrastructure.
- Collaborate with developers to plan and build deployment automation and maintainability of larger Tile network.
- Planning and executing maintenance procedures.
- 4+ years production level experience for high volume and highly available distributed systems that are Java based or other web platforms.
- 2+ years production level experience with various AWS cloud services
- Experience with CI platforms like Jenkins, CircleCI
- Demonstrated mastery in scripting (Ubuntu, grep, shell, bash, as well as Python, etc.)
- Expertise with tool sets like Ansible, Vagrant
- Clear understanding of Networking concepts (e.g Firewalls, NAT, Port, Subnetting, VPC, VPNs, DNS, etc)
- Experience with designing and owning production Unix container ecosystems (Docker, EKS, Fargate/ECS, Kubernetes, service discovery, service registry)
- Proven track record of securely architecting and managing AWS (e.g. IAM, EC2, VPC, ELB, ALB, Autoscaling, Lambda) using Infrastructure as Code techniques such as CloudFormation,Terraform
- Experience in designing and running a predictive alerting platform using monitoring tools such as Nagios, Cloudwatch, NewRelic, DataDog or Pingdom
- Experience with data stores/interfaces like SQL, NoSQL, ELK
- Excellent problem solving, organizational and communication skills
- Own equity in the company - every employee is a stakeholder in our future
- Work with an adept team of people who love what they do
- Flexible work program
- Comprehensive health insurance
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top