Sr. Android Software Engineer (Remote)
- San Mateo, CA
We’re looking for open-minded individuals who want to expand the ways technology can help people. We work fast, collaborate, and celebrate as a team. We’re united by a commitment to shaping Tile’s culture around the needs of our colleagues and customers, and by our desire to build a diverse and welcoming workplace.
Check out our 'Before You Apply' page, to learn more about our Engineering Team!
About the Role
Tile is building the world’s largest real-time finding network. Our Mobile team is growing to keep up with demand for our products and new partnerships. The team is looking for an Android Principal Software Engineer to drive the evolution of our 4+ star Tile Android app. You’ll work closely with UX, product management, and other teams to conceive, design, and create unique mobile capabilities. You are passionate about building high quality apps and are driven to innovate. Come join the team of mobile engineers who are creating awesome apps to help people locate their belongings.
- An Android expert providing technical leadership to a team of brilliant engineers
- Skillfully architect and build new feature code that is easy to maintain and extend
- A catalyst of innovation - experiment and introduce new feature development
- A self initiator who takes on and succeeds at challenging assignments
- Establish, refine, encourage and educate Engineering Best Practices
- Implement and release our Android application supporting millions of users
- Collaborate with members of our mobile and engineering teams to create new features and improve existing functionality
- Leverage strong communication skills to create technical blogs and presentations
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject
- 5+ years of Android development experience, 10+ years as an engineer
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Extensive, in-depth knowledge across several areas of Android development
- Programming experience in Kotlin, Java
- Familiar with using REST APIs
- Knowledge of Core BLE, Core Location, Core Data is a plus.
- Implementing app metrics for analysis and product improvements is a plus
- Experience working with a mix of embedded, mobile and server tech is a big plus
- Own equity in the company - every employee is a stakeholder in our future
- Work with an adept team of people who love what they do
- Flexible work program
- Comprehensive health insurance, dental, vision, 401k, and pre-tax commuter deduction
We solve real problems with technology to make people’s daily lives better.
At Tile, we recognize that daily life is challenging. We lead busy lives filled with family, friends, jobs, pets, and other things we love. Balancing this can be demanding, unpredictable and stressful.
We use technology to solve real everyday problems that keep each day running smoothly. People rely on Tile to be a seamless part of their lives whether they are at home or out in the world.
By helping to make daily lives easier, we free people to find their best lives — whatever that means to them. Tile is for everyone, on every platform, everywhere in the world. Tile for life.
Tile is best known today for its market-leading Bluetooth finders with over 35 million units sold and ~5M items located daily. That said, Tile has recently expanded the devices that are findable by its platform by embedding its software into third-party products.
Over 30 billion Bluetooth devices are shipping over the next 5 years and each of these can be Tile-enabled with a software update. Partnerships have been announced with HP for laptops, leading audio headset OEMs like Bose and SkullCandy, and several others. Tile also has a large portfolio of unannounced OEM partnerships with top brands in many other large verticals (e.g. wearables, bikes, etc.) and is integrating its technology on the Bluetooth chips to make the Tile enablement more seamless for these partners (e.g. Tile has a partnership with Intel for PCs).
In addition to the OEM and chip partnerships, Tile is scaling its finding network by entering into access point partnerships with companies like Google, Amazon, and Comcast (all announced and ongoing).
From a business model perspective, Tile is shifting the relationship with its customers from a transactional device sale to offering a long-term, high-value service. Tile introduced its premium service two years ago and has ~400K subscribers today with a specific focus on growing annual recurring revenue.
We are guided by our company values, which are Start with Trust, Bring It, Build What Matters, Better Together, and Power What’s Next. Recently accredited as a Great Place to Work, we are a high-performing team and our leaders consider themselves to be performance coaches with a primary responsibility of accelerating Tile’s success and that of their teammates. We know that the more our consumers win, the more we win, and we love working with like-minded teammates to do just that.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top