Director, Competitive Intelligence
- Washington, DC
Thycotic, a global leader in IT security, is the fastest growing provider of Privileged Access Management solutions that protect an organization’s most valuable assets from cyber-attacks and insider threats. Our mission is to make self-sufficient security champions, by making security tools people love to use that make privilege management achievable for everyone.
The results show:
--We have over 10,000 customers worldwide ranging from mid-sized organizations to Fortune 100 companies and are adding hundreds of new customers every quarter.
--We are growing at twice the rate of the overall PAM market (50% vs 25%).
-- We are among Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies six years in a row.
Thycotic is continuing to build its Competitive Intelligence function which is an integral component of Thycotic’s go-to-market and product strategy functions. The Director of Competitive Intelligence is responsible for analyzing Thycotic’s ever-changing competitive landscape to inform both strategic and tactical decision makers throughout the company. Specifically, this individual will serve as a resident expert on the market and primary resource for Thycotic’s sales and marketing teams as they face competitive pressure.
The successful candidate must be a self-starter and passionate about competitive research to uncover and articulate competitive advantage, have deep insights into real-world customer issues, and Security buyer needs. You will work closely with Thycotic’s Sales organization, Product Management and Product Marketing teams to position Thycotic’s solutions against competitors in the marketplace. Your deep and ongoing market, competitive research and analysis of competitors’ product and their GTM strategy will help us focus on the delivery of accurate, timely, unbiased and contextual analysis as a subject matter expert. The Director will provide actionable competitive intelligence, sales tools, training and consultative engagement to serve the needs of the field (cheat sheets, whitepapers, presentations, etc.) with net-new information, defensible analysis/proof points and positioning of Thycotic solutions favorably against the competition. The Director will lead, mentor and coach a team of security professionals focused on individual markets, use cases, and buyer segments and will train Thycotic’s sales team and partners on competitive differentiation and sales plays on an ongoing basis.
This can be a remote/telecommute position based out of your home office and will report directly to the VP, Global Professional Services.
- Serve as the resident expert for all technical aspects of competitive analysis for a given solution area.
- Gather technical intelligence about the competition through primary and secondary collection methods, including attending industry conferences.
- Work with existing Product Marketing resources on analyzing findings and developing Thycotic's competitive positioning and messaging for sales and sales engineering audiences.
- Provide an objective assessment of Thycotic's true competitive position as well as provide recommendations to internal teams to increase Thycotic's competitive edge.
- Assist with and participate in product launches, product demonstrations, partner/customer conferences, and strategic planning sessions.
- Track major competitive announcements and proactively build awareness of key competitor moves.
- Work with compete team to develop detailed project plans, clear process for engagement with stakeholders, clarify intent and goals, establish strategic imperatives, etc.
- Present competitive studies and key insights and align with Thycotic senior leaders on recommendations and areas of focus.
- Work with Product Marketing to measure level of engagement and meaningful use of competitive content throughout the year.
Skills and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a technical field or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years working in implementation or administration of Privileged Access Management (PAM) software such as CyberArk or BeyondTrust.
- 7+ years of experience working in the information security industry in a technical capacity.
- Product Management or Technical Product Marketing a plus.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a high growth technology company with min 10% growth year over year.
- Strong technical knowledge with a genuine curiosity to learn new technologies.
- Exceptional technical depth with competence to explain and debate at the architectural level while also being able to explain complex concepts in simpler terms to business audiences.
- Self-starter with a team-oriented work style.
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding written and verbal presentation skills with proven ability to effectively present to a wide variety of audiences.
- Able to prioritize, focus, and execute through obstacles.
- Hands-on experience installing or maintaining security, compliance, and/or operations management tools a plus.
- CISSP or other industry certifications a plus.
- Experience analyzing competitors and/or competitive intelligence certifications (i.e., CIP) a plus.
- Member of Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Professionals (SCIP) preferred.
Why Work at Thycotic?
We’re passionate problem-solvers doing our part to make the world a safer place. We invest in people who are smart, self-motivated and collaborative.
What we offer in return is meaningful work, a culture of innovation and great career progression!
Thycotic was named a “Best Places to Work” Award Winner in 2019 and 2020 in recognition of our positive work environment and culture, as reported by employees. A focus on employee advancement and our ethos of respect are just some of the reasons why people love working here!
Thycotic Software, LLC (Thycotic) is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Upon conditional offer of employment, candidates are required to complete a criminal background check and drug screen per Thycotic employment policy.
Back to top