Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About Research & Design At Thumbtack
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, and content strategists working closely with engineers and product managers to research, explore, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
You are passionate about understanding our users and delivering insights that help us fulfill their true needs. You’re a boss at cross-functional collaboration and partner closely with product managers, designers, and content strategists regularly. You’re able to work quickly and effectively with multiple teams. You’re a great communicator and can help an entire organization better understand and advocate for their users.
About The Role
User Researchers at Thumbtack help designers, product managers, and content strategists understand and know our customers and pros deeply, while advocating for their needs throughout the organization. You will be providing the insights that will drive key product innovations as well as working collaboratively within the research team. As a User Researcher at Thumbtack, you will:
- Collaborate closely with Product and Design to identify and prioritize research topics.
- Lead attitudinal and behavioral user research studies to discover insights about user needs and interaction with the product in a fast-paced environment.
- Generate insights that help us evaluate designs or discover new opportunities
- Provide concise and clear recommendations to Design, Engineering, Product Management, Category Management, and Analytics to turn research insights into action.
- Share research findings with the company at-large by creating and distributing compelling, impactful reports and presentations.
- 3+ years in applied product research in fast-paced, consumer-facing product organizations
- Strong understanding of strengths and shortcomings of various qualitative and quantitative research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase
- Demonstrated success influencing product and design decisions based on research insights
- Excellent working knowledge of statistics and the principles of experiment design
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills
- Experience using tools such as UserTesting.com, Optimizely, Ethnio, Google Adwords, Facebook Ads, InVision, Google Analytics, SurveyMonkey, GetFeedback
- Experience collecting and analyzing user behavior through server logs, online experiments (A/B testing), benchmark studies, lab studies, and surveys
- BA/BS in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Information Science, Computer Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
- MA/MS in one of the previously mentioned academic fields
- Experience with user research supporting accessibility, a big plus
- Experience coding, PHP, SQL, or Python
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Meet Some of Thumbtack's Employees
Marian works on Thumbtack's Relationship Marketing Team. She engages and builds client-relationships with Thumbtack pros—collecting and sharing success stories through the company's newsletters and blogs.
Back to top