Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
*If interested, please submit a cover letter, resume and 3-5 links to sample stories you have worked on that are representative of your writing skills on policy or technology issues for executives.
About the Editorial Team
The editorial team is 110% focused on building brand awareness with beautiful, inspirational, data-driven trends content. We field surveys, analyze our marketplace, and engage customers and pros to tell interesting stories about Thumbtack and our marketplace.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced staff writer / speechwriter at Thumbtack to help support our growing need for consistent, engaging, and sharable company and executive-level content. Responsibilities would include producing high-quality articles about and for Thumbtack on a regular basis, and partnering with individuals across the company to create bylined thought leadership pieces.
We’re looking for someone with 4-6 years of experience writing rich essays, thought leadership articles and other content pieces as well as experience ghostwriting and speechwriting for executives especially on the issues of technology and policy. The right candidate is a strong storyteller who asks great questions and listens carefully. The ideal person for this job should also be comfortable and confident working one-on-one with executives and leaders at Thumbtack to understand their unique voices and translate concepts, ideas, and learnings into thoughtful and interesting content for a variety of audiences.
- Become a subject matter expert on Thumbtack’s corporate story and external messaging points.
- Build strong rapport with members of Thumbtack’s leadership team to help them produce interesting and shareable content that highlights their work and ideas.
- Write copy for company news announcements from the CEO and co-founders
- Drive the process for creating a regular cadence of content to support Thumbtack executive’s platforms including speeches, presentations and bylined articles.
- 4-6 years of experience writing and ghostwriting rich essays and articles required, speechwriting experience a strong plus
- Strong, adaptable writing and editing skills and the ability to channel other people’s voices
- Strong storyteller with natural curiosity and thoughtful listening skills
- Ability to adhere to brand guidelines
- Thorough knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style, AP Style and/or exceptional writing, editing, grammar, spelling and communication skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively and professionally with senior level executives - from the CEO to the CTO
- Experience with project management and data visualizations a strong plus
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top