Software Engineering Intern
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, our engineering team is building the future of hiring local professionals. We are focused on building a product that makes it easy to get things done. Along the way, we are solving quite a few not-so-easy problems, from building scheduling tools for our pros to scaling infrastructure to handle billions of invites.
About the Role
During this 12 week summer internship at Thumbtack, you will be paired with a mentor on the engineering team to work through interesting technical problems in your area of interest. We deeply value autonomy, so you will be given freedom to work with your mentor to find a project (or several) that interest you, while providing value to the larger team. We promise to make your time at Thumbtack fun, memorable, and unique as we work together to solve marketplace frustrations.
- Driving your internship project(s) to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of your project(s)
- Prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency
- Solving tough technical problems, including working collaboratively with cross-functional teams to plan and execute on your project
- Meeting regularly with your mentor and proactively asking for help when needed--think of them as your cheerleader
- Pursuing a BS/BA in Computer Science
- Enrolled in a full-time degree program
- Graduating in 2018
- Excellent coder--it’s both clean and concise
- An appetite for learning and passion to help others
- Relevant internship experience
- You’re fluent in at least one major programming language and would be able to switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we mainly use PHP, Scala, and Go, with Objective-C, Swift, and Java for our mobile apps.
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Learn more about engineering at Thumbtack
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Meet Some of Thumbtack's Employees
Marian works on Thumbtack's Relationship Marketing Team. She engages and builds client-relationships with Thumbtack pros—collecting and sharing success stories through the company's newsletters and blogs.
Back to top