Software Engineer, New Grad
Thumbtack was created with the belief that hiring a plumber should be as easy as buying a book online. By making the local hiring process simpler, faster, and more reliable than it’s ever been, we’re inspiring our customers to do more every day while empowering pros to do the work they do best.
As a New Grad Software Engineer at Thumbtack, you'll be responsible for bringing the Thumbtack vision to life. That means discovering, researching, and implementing anything that moves us toward our vision. You’ll work in collaboration with top engineers, designers, product managers, and other cross-functional teams.
This may mean scaling product features and infrastructure to support a fast-growing user base, building internal tools to give us insight into Thumbtack ecosystem, iterating on the core mechanics of the marketplace, or exploring and prototyping any number of new and compelling ideas. In any case, as a software engineer, it always means managing complexity through thoughtful software design to ensure we can grow and scale our product without sacrificing development speed or quality.
We value ownership and individual contribution within a collaborative environment. From day one you will be paired with a mentor on the team to work through interesting technical problems in your area of interest. Our engineers have significant autonomy in choosing the kinds of projects they undertake.
We expect you to take a deliberate and thoughtful approach to your decision-making, while also exercising great freedom and creativity. We want people who want to make their mark on the world—who have the ambition to dream big and the talent to bring those dreams to fruition.
- Recent graduate with 1 year of industry experience or less OR currently pursuing a B.S. in Computer Science or related field to be completed before your start date
- You like finding interesting problems in the world, then tackling them head on with dedication and creativity
- Great oral and written communication skills
- You like talking and engaging with users to help them express their needs in ways that can be used as feedback for future iterations of the product
- You appreciate a good statistical analysis and the power of data-driven decisions, and you might like running A/B tests
- You're excited about the code you write, and work hard to make it maintainable for your future self as well as your colleagues on the engineering team
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Learn more about engineering at Thumbtack
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Meet Some of Thumbtack's Employees
Marian works on Thumbtack's Relationship Marketing Team. She engages and builds client-relationships with Thumbtack pros—collecting and sharing success stories through the company's newsletters and blogs.
Back to top