Site Reliability Engineer
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Site Reliability Team
Our Site Reliability Engineers are a hybrid of software and systems engineers. We code our way out of operational problems.
About the Role
Our current mission is to design Thumbtack’s next version of the core infrastructure. We are responsible for reliability, scalability, and automation, while keeping an eye on latency, performance, and capacity.
Come help us build a scalable infrastructure to help millions of users get the right pro’s for all of life’s projects.
- Design, write, and maintain software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Thumbtack's services, incorporating third-party open-source tools when available.
- Create new designs for a growing number of distributed systems.
- Design and implement the tools and processes used for deployment and change management.
- Plan and execute configuration management.
- Own, maintain, and continuously improve all systems provided as a service, such as monitoring and datastores.
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, anticipating performance bottlenecks.
- Automate resource provisioning and allocation process.
- Run software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Plan and execute disaster recovery drills.
- Participate in rotating on-call duties.
- Fluent in one or more of: C, Python, Go.
- Familiarity with algorithms, data structures, and complexity analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of operating systems (processes, threads, IPC, concurrency, locks, mutexes, semaphores, etc.).
- Experience working with Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, with experience working with system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols.
- Experience with network protocols and theory (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing, etc.).
- Experience with Puppet, or some other configuration management tool.
- Systematic problem solving approach.
- Strong sense of ownership and drive.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services.
- Experience with PostgreSQL tuning and performance.
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Learn more about engineering at Thumbtack
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top