Product Design Manager
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping brides plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Thumbtack Design Group
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product designers working closely with engineers, product managers, and writers to research, explore, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging and delightful. We build consensus around our work in our everyday interactions through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
You have successfully managed the growth and work of a small group of designers. You are a great cross-functional collaborator and are able to lead the creative strategy for a core product team. You are invested in building a great team and setting that team up for success. You can provide feedback at every level—from strategy to UI—and can also roll-up your sleeves and dive into the work. You advocate for the user through human-centered design principles resulting in incredibly intuitive and beautiful experiences. You believe in the power of quantitative and qualitative research to help validate our hypotheses and know your way around analytics.
- Team building and management
- Mentor and manage a small team of designers—caring for their professional and personal development—including, defining clear goals, prioritizing work, and creating an environment that fosters collaboration, trust, and respect.
- Push the design team forward by surfacing processes and examples that inspire us to improve the quality of our work and the ways we collaborate.
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and researchers to define goals, process, and prioritize the work.
- Communicate our product vision and plan to a cross-functional product team.
- Use a human-centered design approach to direct the design of product solutions that solve for the true needs of our users.
- Owning and impacting the design of a core part of our product experience through team and individual contribution.
- To uphold a high standard for our brand expressions and our product experiences.
- Serve as an ambassador for Thumbtack Design within the org and in the broader design community.
- 5-7+ years of experience working as part of a design team (at least 3 years of in-house experience)
- 2-3+ years of experience managing a small team
- Experience in and a desire to mentor and develop designers
- Emotional intelligence—the ability to truly understand what each individual on your team needs to thrive and feel fulfilled.
- An inspiring portfolio of mobile and web-based projects that highlights your approach to problem solving as well as the solutions themselves
- A demonstrated ability to lead a project end-to-end and with a cross-functional team.
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
- Strong interaction design, visual design, prototyping skills, and the ability to help shape product strategy
- Human-centric approach to designing products
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
- Fluency in Sketch, Adobe CS, Invision (or other prototyping products)
- Skills in HTML & CSS a plus
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top