Pro Marketing Extern (Fall 2017)
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Pro Marketing Team
Our Pro Marketing team is focused on attracting, onboarding and retaining pros. We are devoted to helping pros get hired and successfully grow their businesses with Thumbtack.
About the Role
Thumbtack is creating a better way for pros to get hired. It’s called ProAssist. Now, pros no longer have to manually review every customer request and send individualized quotes. We do it for them, automatically, so that they can focus on what they love doing most. ProAssist saves pros time and money - they only pay when a customer responds to them for the first time (as opposed to paying to send each individual quote). ProAssist also delivers a better experience to our customers, who expect instant introductions to qualified pros.
We’re looking for an experienced extern to lead growth marketing experiments for ProAssist. You’ll work on building demand and upselling existing pros to turn on ProAssist as well as attracting net new pros to sign up for Thumbtack and ProAssist directly.
You will research, design, launch, and evaluate growth marketing experiments. Some examples may include:
- Top of funnel: Own the prospect experience, iterating and experimenting with ads, landing pages and emails.
- Content: Create and test new content formats, like webinars and user-generated content.
- Segmentation: Identify segments of new or existing pros and create customized campaigns (e.g. pros in high-supply markets vs. low-supply markets).
- Channel testing: Identify and test high-leverage demand generation channels (social, direct mail, re-targeting, etc.).
This 4-6 month externship will include three components:
- Project Leadership (70%): You will lead growth marketing experiments from start to finish, adding end-to-end programs to your portfolio (research and design to launch and evaluation). You’ll partner cross-functionally to bring these experiments and programs to life.
- Personal Development (20%): You’ll define the track you want to pursue (e.g. analytics, email, social, copywriting, etc.), and we’ll develop a learning plan and set aside time each week.
- Mentorship (10%): Each week, you’ll meet with different people from across the company (marketing, editorial, design, product, user research, engineering and support) to explore different roles and career paths, and learn about the relationship between marketing and the other functions within a startup organization.
- Research. Get to know our pros, our funnel and data, and form a perspective on where to focus. Once you define your areas of focus, research potential approaches and best practices for your marketing experiments.
- Design. Define your experiments’ formats, audiences, goals, value propositions and messaging.
- Launch. Create materials and relevant campaigns to launch your experiments.
- Measure. Gather qualitative and quantitative feedback to assess the effectiveness of the experiments (survey, interviews, pro performance data).
- Recommend. Synthesize your learnings and make recommendations for next steps. Present your work to various teams within Thumbtack.
- 2-3+ years of experience, preferably in consulting, marketing or product management
- Ability to influence and lead a cross-functional team from idea to launch
- Analytical mindset, with experience analyzing qualitative and quantitative data to guide strategy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in SQL and/or Excel
- Experience in digital, email, community and/or paid acquisition marketing
- Experience working with small businesses
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Meet Some of Thumbtack's Employees
Marian works on Thumbtack's Relationship Marketing Team. She engages and builds client-relationships with Thumbtack pros—collecting and sharing success stories through the company's newsletters and blogs.
Back to top