Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Studio Team
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers, copywriters, photographers, and more who are tasked with owning and executing on the visual expression of our brand. We are positioned as Thumbtacks internal creative agency and we collaborate with a wide range of internal partners from customer and pro marketing, to editorial, brand, events, and more. We work on a wide variety of outputs, from email and web design, to print, radio, reports, and even televisions ads. No matter what the medium, our goal is to create high quality, compelling creative that elevates our brand.
About the Role
As the photo manager you will be responsible for defining the look and feel of our brand photography as well as scaling it across our product and marketing. This role will require management and mentoring of a photo team that could include producers, editors, photo researchers, and a distributed network of photographers.
- Collaborate with an internal creative team to bring creative concepts to life by managing every facet of photo production, including scheduling, budgets, location, talent, pre-pro meetings, and post-production process
- Manage and mentor staff and contract photographers
- Utilize a vast, national network of independent photographers to scale our photo library and shoot content on-demand when needed
- Grow the photography team as needed
Tools and Process
- Build an extensive library of quality, on-brand custom and stock photos and video for marketing and product usage.
- Update and maintain image assets and rights management within a CMS
- Recognize possible legal pitfalls and guard Thumbtack against them, particularly copyright issues
- Define, scope and estimate cost and resources required to execute large scale as well as smaller, more nimble photo and video projects.
- Edit and prepare photos for use across print and web
- Imagine, create and manage programs that enable our professionals to use photography to help build their businesses
- Provide operational direction on photo shoots and oversee all productions while keeping shoots on-time and on-budget
- Maintain and further develop brand standards for lifestyle and editorial photography via refinement of the creative briefing process, workflow processes, and other innovations
- Help the entire organization understand and recognize when photography is on brand and when it is not
- Set a tone for high quality photography standards and lead the team in providing high quality photography and videography consistent with our brand standards
- 5+ years experience as a photographer
- 3+ years experience as an in-house Art Producer
- An understanding of the technical and logistical challenges of producing photography for cross-platform digital products such as websites and apps
- Experience managing photo and video assets across an extremely wide range of subjects
- E-commerce experience a plus
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in photography or equivalent
- A portfolio that demonstrates outstanding creativity and attention to detail, art direction/influence, photo styling, and creative problem solving
- Photography, videography, shoot experience: bidding through final post-production
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects with changing demands
- Great team player and experience building strong creative relationships
- Experience in a variety of studio settings from tabletop to location-based photography
- Knowledge of post-processing programs and techniques such as image processing, color temperature/balancing, etc
- Experience managing and developing staff of all experience levels and tenures, and working with a team that is highly entrepreneurial
- The ability to translate brand values into photography guidelines and direction
- Ability and willingness to shoot, edit, and process photos when needed
- Experience producing video content
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Meet Some of Thumbtack's Employees
Marian works on Thumbtack's Relationship Marketing Team. She engages and builds client-relationships with Thumbtack pros—collecting and sharing success stories through the company's newsletters and blogs.
Back to top