IT Systems Engineer
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the IT Team
Thumbtack’s IT team is passionate about operational excellence, whether that’s process improvements, automating the hell out of things, or helping find that next amazing app for our internal teams. We understand that if we get this right, we can focus more of our attention on the things that matter to the business - namely innovation, scale, and being a trusted business partner. We strive to deliver the best IT experience our users have experienced. Ever.
About the Role
The IT team is searching for a seasoned Systems Administrator to build and support our internal corporate systems and network. You will have core knowledge of on-premise and cloud-hosted services, authentication and access systems, networking, and the nuts and bolts of building office infrastructure. As with most startups, you will need deep technical skills and a willingness to take on all challenges big and small. You will use your past experience to help build a world-class IT department and deliver valued services to the business. You must have excellent communications skills, a passion for technology and dedication to providing the best end user experience possible, mentoring others and driving best practices within the team.
- Design, develop, deploy and manage highly-available, scalable systems & network infrastructure
- Troubleshoot and resolve advanced issues with hardware, software, applications & networking
- Proactively monitor network security, stability, and performance
- Coordinate and lead 24x7 support for critical infrastructure components
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify areas for systems improvement and actively work to improve the quality, reliability, and supportability of existing infrastructure
- Lead IT-related projects and activities under the direction of IT leadership
- Enable technical innovation and efficiency through automation where possible
- Implement and drive critical processes (change/incident/ticket management, post-mortems)
- Maintain security standards (firewalls, patching, two-factor authentication, VPN, access)
- Manage relationships and costs for vendors and 3rd-party partners
- Participate in recruiting, hiring, coaching and mentoring team members
- Experience managing both on-premise services and cloud-hosted resources with a high emphasis on security and scalability
- 5+ years of hands on networking experience in a globally distributed environment
- Knowledge of common services & protocols: DNS, IPSec VPN, DHCP, RADIUS, OSPF, SNMP
- Previous experience with authentication/access control systems: AD, LDAP, Okta, SAML
- Working knowledge of Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or other cloud platforms
- Comprehensive understanding of information security and compliance
- Experience implementing and supporting monitoring & alerting tools: Zenoss, Syslog, Nagios
- Demonstrated ability to drive post-mortems from short-term solutions to long-term resolutions
- Experience managing G Suite for Business at scale
- Outstanding communication, attention to detail and interpersonal skills
- Ability to participate in an on-call rotation that includes after hours and weekend support
- A great teammate who is hardworking, reliable and thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to make thoughtful proposals, provide root cause analysis and demonstrate results through testing and metrics
- Hands on experience with any of the following networking systems (the more the better): Palo Alto Networks, Aruba, Infoblox, HP switching/routing
- Advanced knowledge of Enterprise campus wireless deployments and management
- Strong knowledge of Okta or other SSO/Identity Management applications
- Proficiency in various scripting languages (Perl, Python and/or Ruby)
- Formal Project Management experience
- Good sense of humor!
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Meet Some of Thumbtack's Employees
Marian works on Thumbtack's Relationship Marketing Team. She engages and builds client-relationships with Thumbtack pros—collecting and sharing success stories through the company's newsletters and blogs.
Back to top