Head of Data Science
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Data Science Team
At Thumbtack, the Data Science team combines big data with innovative modeling and analysis techniques to shape the system logic that serves millions of customers and professionals. Challenging problems include:
- Design innovative A/B testing techniques. Understanding the true impact of a test in Thumbtack’s marketplace requires well-designed separation among millions of interconnected customers and professionals, and sound methodology to interpret test results in the face of such extensive interconnection.
- Model complex relationships in the presence of many confounding factors. Predictive modeling problems are everywhere across our product. Our team works to scope, design and implement machine learning models to support Thumbtack’s products.
About the Role
Thumbtack’s engineering team continues to grow quickly and we’re looking to hire an outstanding leader who can synthesize deep statistical expertise and product vision to lead and grow our Data Science team in designing & building data products. As the leader of this team, you will articulate a vision for Data Science at Thumbtack, and work with Engineering, Product, and Analytics teams in executing toward that vision.
- Articulate and execute toward a vision that effectively combines advances in data science with engineering, product and analytics to make drastic improvements to Thumbtack products
- Grow the Data Science team by hiring talented candidates and developing leadership and deep expertise in the team
- Provide hands-on technical guidance to challenging data science problems faced by the team on a day-to-day basis
- Experience in a senior management role
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations
- Expert knowledge of probability and statistics, including machine learning / predictive modeling, experimental design, and optimization
- Hands on experience in building large-scale data products and systems
- Strong communication skills. Able to communicate complex data solutions across the company, and to coach the team in connecting data science problem solving with product development
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, or other relevant technical field
- Preferred: Experience working on a consumer product or startup
- Preferred: Experience with tools in the Hadoop ecosystem such as Hive, Pig, or Spark
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Learn more about engineering at Thumbtack
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top