Head of Data Science
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping brides plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
We’re looking for a Head of Data Science at Thumbtack. Thumbtack’s engineering team continues to grow quickly and we’re looking to hire an outstanding leader who can synthesize deep statistical expertise and product vision to lead our Data Science team in designing & building data products. As the leader of this team, you will articulate a vision for Data Science at Thumbtack, and work with Engineering, Product, and Analytics teams in executing against that vision.
At Thumbtack, the Data Science team is responsible for solving a wide variety of problems spanning statistics, machine learning, and computer science:
- Understand marketplace dynamics. Thumbtack’s marketplaces are comprised of thousands of active markets across our service categories and U.S. cities. Via exploratory data analysis and experimental design, our team works to understand trends and user behavior within these markets.
- Improve customer and service provider matching. Matching and optimization algorithms are fundamental to Thumbtack’s product: we now service millions of matches per week. Identifying better matches between customers and service providers has an incredible impact on the experience of customers and pros transacting on our platform.
- Model complex relationships in the presence of many confounding factors. Predictive modeling problems are everywhere across our product. Our team works to scope, design and implement machine learning models to support Thumbtack’s product.
- Experimental design At Thumbtack, we are always running A/B tests to evaluate changes to our product.
- Experience in a senior management role.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations.
- Expert knowledge of probability and statistics, including machine learning / predictive modeling, experimental design and optimization.
- Strong communication skills. Able to communicate complex data analysis across the company.
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, or other relevant technical field.
- Experience working on a consumer product or startup a plus.
- Experience with Hadoop / Spark a plus.
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Learn more about engineering at Thumbtack
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is helping millions of people tackle their to-do lists every day. By delivering custom, project-specific quotes from qualified and available professionals, we empower customers to select and hire the pro that’s right for them. And with a steady stream of new projects being started, independent professionals across all 50 states are able to grow and manage their businesses on their own terms.
Back to top