Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives - from house cleaners, to yoga instructors to general contractors, we’re helping small businesses grow and thrive. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, our engineering team is building the future of hiring local professionals. We are focused on building a product that makes it easy to get things done. Along the way, we are solving quite a few not-so-easy problems, from building scheduling tools for our pros to scaling infrastructure to handle billions of invites.
About the Role
We’re looking for an engineering director to lead core product development at Thumbtack. Thumbtack’s engineering team continues to grow quickly and we’re looking to hire an outstanding engineering leader to run core parts of our product, scale our engineering team, and help drive our technical direction.
- As Thumbtack’s Director of Engineering you’ll be responsible for building and managing diverse teams, systems and infrastructure
- You have demonstrated the ability to work effectively within a team and cross-functionally. Exhibited passion for mentoring and contributing to the development of others through code reviews, coaching and guiding teams through technical decisions
- You’ve helped scale successful large systems
- Motivated by a fast-paced and innovative environment where you’re unafraid to roll your sleeves up and make an impact on our product and team
- Experience in a senior engineering management role.
- 8-10+ years experience building software at scale.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations.
- Deep understanding of how to build scalable distributed systems.
- Passionate about technology and not afraid to write code.
- Experience working on a consumer product or startup a plus.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, Google Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Learn more about engineering at Thumbtack
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Meet Some of Thumbtack's Employees
Marian works on Thumbtack's Relationship Marketing Team. She engages and builds client-relationships with Thumbtack pros—collecting and sharing success stories through the company's newsletters and blogs.
Back to top