Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping brides plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done. Our product touches millions of lives across the country, and we are seeking a Creative Director to help us take the Thumbtack experience and marketing design team to the next level.
About the Thumbtack Design Group
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers working closely with copywriters, photography managers, and strategists to research, ideate and create beautifully crafted marketing communications. Currently the design team supports both Marketing and Product Design, but as the company has grown so have the needs of our Brand and Marketing groups. We're now looking for a leader who can build out and lead a world class team to support our brand & marketing organization and bring our brand to life in meaningful ways for our customers and professionals.
You have successfully built and managed a cross-functional creative team of designers, copywriters, photo managers, and production artists, and collaborated with a marketing team to deliver a truly engaging brand experience. You think at a high level about the strategy and vision of a human-centered brand, but aren’t afraid to roll up your sleeves and get into the work. You serve as the steward of the brand both within the company and out in the world. You are a strong cross-functional collaborator who understands the particular needs of marketing within a consumer tech company. You have a ton of experience partnering with external agencies and contractors to bring a brand to life across multiple mediums and markets. You are a highly strategic, imaginative, and conceptual thinker with a love of storytelling who pushes creative boundaries without sacrificing our business objectives.
- Develop a world-class creative team with a vision and structure that attracts top talent and meets the needs of a growing organization.
- Mentor and manage a cross-functional team of creatives—owning their personal and professional development.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to set the strategy of how design brings the brand to life and use this strategy to guide the priorities and output of your team.
- Work with leaders to identify and prioritize key brand and creative initiatives to support Thumbtack growth and experience
- Partner closely with our Marketing Team to build a consistent brand experience across multiple marketing touch-points and multiple mediums.
- Understands the Thumbtack brand, and translate that understanding into actionable tools for team (design standards, guidelines, etc.)
- Partner closely with Product Design to ensure the consistency of our overall experience and brand.
- Establish a process for creative development that starts with strategic requirements, leverages customer insights, timely reviews from stakeholders, and effective collaboration across the entire design organization.
- Serve as a steward of the brand within Thumbtack and externally.
- 15+ years of design experience
- 5+ years of experience leading design teams
- Proven track record of building strong and effective creative teams across disciplines
- Creative portfolio of results oriented work that shows a diversity of experience across both online and offline media, including TV creative development
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively across teams
- Strong business acumen, with a solid understanding of how to achieve business objectives while meeting an expected brand standard and high bar for aesthetic quality
- Human-centric approach to design that is friendly, vibrant and approachable
- Experience building a brand in multiple markets
- A network of top-notch external partners
- Track record of delivering results
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top