Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives - from house cleaners to yoga instructors to general contractors, we’re helping small businesses grow and thrive. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Legal Team
Thumbtack runs a lean legal team with two full time lawyers. This role will be the third. We aim to partner with our internal clients, move quickly, and provide clear, actionable, product-focused legal advice that helps the company meet our goals.
About the Role
Get ready to roll up your sleeves! As an early member of our legal team, you will be at the ground floor of strategic decision making about our priorities. You will be a problem-solver, advisor, counselor, and active participant in the business. You will need to think quickly on your feet, learn new areas of law, and be able to handle legal issues that you haven’t previously faced. This position reports to the Managing Counsel.
- Manage Thumbtack’s IP (patent and trademark) portfolio.
- Work with customer service and trust and safety teams to solve problems, improve processes, and provide counsel on important issues.
- Counsel clients on marketing, product, and data security issues.
- Manage commercial contracts and deals.
- Help manage whatever legal issues walk in the door.
- JD and California Bar membership or ability to qualify for RIHC status.
- 4+ years of firm, relevant government, or tech in-house experience (the best candidates will have a combination).
- Fluency in basic techspeak, ability to learn new areas of the law confidently, and ability to follow rigorous and data-based analysis.
- Significant expertise in at least one of the following: litigation, IP, or marketing/consumer protection.
- Team player willing to take on whatever projects come your way.
- Marketplace or “sharing economy” in-house experience.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Meet Some of Thumbtack's Employees
Marian works on Thumbtack's Relationship Marketing Team. She engages and builds client-relationships with Thumbtack pros—collecting and sharing success stories through the company's newsletters and blogs.
Back to top