Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives - from house cleaners, to yoga instructors to general contractors, we’re helping small businesses grow and thrive. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
If interested, please submit a cover letter, resume and 3-5 links to sample stories you have worked on that are representative of your editing and/or writing skills.
About the Editorial Team
The editorial team is 110% focused on building brand awareness with beautiful, inspirational, data-driven trends content. We field surveys, analyze our marketplace, and engage customers and pros to tell interesting stories about Thumbtack and our marketplace.
About the Role
Thumbtack is looking for an Associate Editor to join our editorial team to produce and edit regular articles, in-depth reports and other engaging and creative consumer-facing content. If you love creating content in a variety of formats across a wide range of lifestyle subjects, this is your dream job.
We’re looking for an experienced editor with at least 2-5 years of experience writing, assigning and editing articles across a variety of lifestyle topics including home improvement, interior design, wellness, weddings, and more. The right candidate is a strong writer and editor who can work with freelance writers to create compelling copy and can manage multiple editorial projects at a time. The ideal candidate is also a fountain of ideas for packaging stories, finding angles in our unique marketplace data for articles and someone who thinks strategically about storytelling. Experience and interest in telling stories with data and trends is a strong plus.
- Research and write or edit multiple articles each week
- Develop, assign and edit articles at scale with freelance and contract writers
- Develop and pitch story ideas that leverage Thumbtack’s unique customer and marketplace trend data
- Work with data analyst team and economists to analyze data in our marketplace for compelling trends stories
- Interview Thumbtack service providers and consumers for articles
- Project manage multiple editorial projects at a time across channels
- Work with the creative team on design and photo needs for articles
- Collaborate with other team members on daily content as well as larger projects
- Contribute to audience and traffic growth through social media, writing newsletter email copy and other marketing activities
- At least 2-5 years of experience in writing/reporting/editing/blogging, online publishing and/or magazines or related field (required)
- Strong interest in and grasp of consumer trends and content in a variety of areas including home, wellness, and lifestyle media
- Ability to turn around accurate and engaging copy while meeting deadlines
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Energetic, proactive person who has the ability to both work independently and collaborate with others
- Basic CMS/WordPress/HTML and some Photoshop skills strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Experience managing a team of freelancers, project management and data visualization a strong plus
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, Google Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Meet Some of Thumbtack's Employees
Marian works on Thumbtack's Relationship Marketing Team. She engages and builds client-relationships with Thumbtack pros—collecting and sharing success stories through the company's newsletters and blogs.
Back to top