Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping brides plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
Thumbtack’s Analytics team is a tight-knit group charged with empowering Thumbtack to use data to inform decisions. We collaborate with teams across the entire company on projects which span everything from diving deep into click-level data to improve a product experience to developing series of metrics describing overall business health. This role is about so much more than just creating dashboards - it’s telling the story of our business in a way that inspires actions large and small.
About the role
As an Analytics Manager leading our Marketplace Health team, you’ll be expected to a develop a deep, nuanced understanding of how our marketplaces operate - i.e. how we can balance supply & demand across 1000+ service categories in every city in the country. You’ll become the go-to expert for questions on how changes in our product, marketplace incentives, and marketing efforts impact the overall health of our business. We’re looking for a skilled analyst and leader who can blend strong technical analyses with economic and behavioral insights to guide our business towards sustained growth. Over time, we’ll expect you to grow a team and serve as a role-model for sound decision-making, collaboration and inspired analysis.
- Oversee complex, technical projects that improve our understanding of marketplace dynamics
- Collaborate with Product, Marketing and Operations teams on diverse projects
- Build robust, data-driven models that guide decision-making and inspire action
- Present compelling narratives which explain company-wide marketplace trends
- Help build, lead and inspire a team of world-class analysts
- BA/BS degree and exposure to Economics, Math, Statistics, Computer Science and/or Business.
- 5+ years experience working in analytics, data science, or a similarly quantitative role
- Proficient using SQL to query large data sets
- Proficient using statistical language such as R or Python/Pandas
- Excellent communicator, attentive listener and compelling explainer
- Capable project manager, can juggle a set of diverse projects with a strong track record of delivering against aggressive timelines
- You thrive working at the intersection of deep technical analysis, compelling narratives, and close collaboration with others
- You’re passionate about analytics and always eager to learn more; you’d be excited to work and learn alongside others who share this value
- You’re motivated challenges and comfortable with ambiguity. You’re ready to help us build a sustainable marketplace for thousands of categories across thousands of cities.
- You’re a hands-on analyst who’s ready to dive into tough problems. You also know how to step back and coach others towards success.
- Experience in an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company
- Advanced degree in Economics, Statistics, Operations Research or equivalent field
- Practical experience using statistical models to derive insights about complex relationships
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top