Senior Data Engineer
thredUP is the largest online marketplace for secondhand clothing. We make buying and selling a cinch for millions of women across the globe. The company resells more than 35,000 brands across hundreds of categories at up to 90% off the original retail value. Headquartered in downtown San Francisco and backed by world-class investors, thredUP is reinventing the secondhand clothing industry and inspiring a new generation of consumers to think secondhand first.
About the Role
At thredUP, we're revolutionizing the clothing industry, and we're looking for a Sr. Software Engineer to join our Data Engineering team. We have web clickstream data, e-commerce data, email data, CRM data, logs, and more.
Our experienced Data Engineering team builds distributed components, tools, and systems that power decisions at thredUP.
You'll work closely with different business teams such as Marketing, Product, Data science to create effective Data products. You would get an opportunity to deliver the entire product from start from finish. i.e. Requirements gathering to design and implementation of a product. You would get an opportunity to work on different Big data technologies such as Spark, Kinesis streaming, Kafka etc via different use cases we currently have. There would be opportunities to build services ranging from core data pipelines to big data to machine learning.
- Implement business critical systems. You will be owning these products build in Java that handles low latency and high volume data ingestion and delivery
- Developing Data delivery products from design to production using software engineering and database principles
- Build scalable and efficient big data pipelines and scalable microservices
- Create API integration for enabling complex analytics and product workflows
- Maintain existing products , enhance and add features
- Work closely with the engineering team in the planning of new features or systems
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Strong knowledge of Computer Science Fundamentals, Data Structures and Design patterns.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience as a backend developer in Java
- Experience in concurrency, multithreading and synchronization is a must
- Experiment building scalable APIs for outside micro-services to consume
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Relational Databases and Data warehousing concepts
- 2+ years of experience working on a ETL tool
- Working on Kubernetes, Docker technologies
- Mathematics and Statistics background is a plus
- A strong understanding of the needs of an analytics/data team
- Knowledge of MySQL or PostgreSQL
What We Care About
- Think big, start small, scale fast is your mantra when working on projects/tasks
- True belief in improving the internal/external customers' experience
- Obsessed about making the stakeholders/team members/customers excited about ideas, project execution & services that you own or work on
- Always put the customer perspective first and think about how you are improving their lifestyle by using thredUP
- Attitude of taking ownership and getting things done. While it is awesome to be consistent in good decision making about projects, timeline and architecture, it is also equally awesome to accept responsibility when you make bad decisions
Back to top