thredUP is the largest online marketplace for secondhand clothing. We make buying and selling a cinch for millions of women across the globe. The company resells more than 35,000 brands across hundreds of categories at up to 90% off the original retail value. Headquartered in downtown San Francisco and backed by world-class investors, thredUP is reinventing the secondhand clothing industry and inspiring a new generation of consumers to think secondhand first.
About the Role:
Merchandisers at thredUP play a crucial role in bridging the gap between warehouse operations and the onsite ecommerce shopping experience. They will report into the merchandising manager and will spend their time at our Mechanicsburg distribution center. They are knowledgeable and passionate about product, brands and fashion.
The Merchandisers are the company experts in pricing and authentication, building trust with our buyers and suppliers. Through data analysis, building a solid foundation of cross-functional partnerships, and leading a team of Assistant Merchandisers, they will drive ASP and margin growth at the DC level.
- Understands the competitive retail environment and proactively researches market data and fashion trends to establish the value of new and existing brands and categories.
- Regularly monitors, audits and updates the internal pricing tables of a broad range of retailers
- Provides authentication and pricing expertise for designer clothing and handbags
- Own daily activities that support the merchandising strategies and operations targets
- Responsible for auditing inventory based on characteristics, attributes, gender, and styling in order to ensure item accuracy and overall elevated site aesthetic
- Understands product trends, historical data, and departmental input at the department/brand/category level in order to manage in-season needs and opportunities
- Supports Merchandising and Operations Teams in bridging the gap between meta-data capture and its input into the site shopping experience. Must develop and stay up to date with the merch related processes at the distribution centers
- Provides information to develop key concepts, key items, promotional strategies and assortments that drive conversion
- Lead in communicating with supervisors, leads, and WIP Teams regarding under review items, processing time and item tracking
- Participate in monthly hindsight meetings and future season planning meetings
- Understand and proactively seek out knowledge of who our customer is and what her shopping habits are to identify risks and opportunities
- Own / take lead in a new company initiative / test demonstrating leadership, thoughtful problem solving, communication and recapping
- Make recommendations and develop a point of view that aligns with high level merchandising strategies and inventory plans that align with financial goals of the season
- Effectively influence hiring, managing, developing and supporting a team of Merchandise Coordinators to ensure job satisfaction
- Coach team through performance feedback, goal-setting, development plans and provide appropriate tools and training
- Support a collaborative, innovative, and results-oriented environment with peers and cross-functional teams
- 4+ years retail, apparel and/or Ecommerce management experience
- Customer Focus and product centric
- Bachelor's Degree
- Comprehensive understanding and application of retail math
- Strong sense of teamwork with a positive go-getter attitude with ability to take initiative, ownership, and accountability for the business
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Being able to tell a story and communicate what’s happening in the business to a leaders, and a diverse audience of cross functional partners
- Highly detail oriented, dependable and able to work independently and collaboratively
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of operational workflow and internal processes
- Adaptable to a fast changing environment and with ability to multi-task and deliver results under tight deadlines
- Ability to develop internal tool and system proficiency. Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Financial Acumen: The ability to use financial metrics to measure the performance of the business. Understand how financial levers impact results
- Business Acumen: The ability to read and react to business results, understanding how decisions impact those results
Back to top