Director of Search
thredUP is the largest online marketplace for secondhand clothing. We make buying and selling a cinch for millions of women across the globe. The company resells more than 35,000 brands across hundreds of categories at up to 90% off the original retail value. Headquartered in downtown San Francisco and backed by world-class investors, thredUP is reinventing the secondhand clothing industry and inspiring a new generation of consumers to think secondhand first.
About the Role (and the ideal person for it)
thredUP’s mission is to inspire a new generation of shoppers to think secondhand first. Our new head of SEM & SEO will be a key part of this mission, capturing search intent and converting it into thredUP purchases, at scale.
The person who will succeed in this role naturally relishes the idea of taking ownership of thredUP’s growing SEM program and taking it to the next level. Your timing is incredible, as we are making product changes that will have a direct and powerful impact on SEM growth.
But this aint no cakewalk! This role takes skill, creativity, curiosity and energy. You must bring a strong understanding of e-commerce and digital marketing, and use scientific approaches to optimize and scale your programs. You are known as a search expert and are frequently consulted by your colleagues on SEM and SEO best practices. You are hands-on about your work but know how to manage a team and get things done.
You are comfortable working in a high visibility role where you interact closely with engineering, product, analytics and the exec team. You report to thredUP’s President/CMO.
- Own thredUP’s SEM (incl PLA and GDN) channels and associated revenue and ROI targets
- Manage campaign budgets, expenditures, optimization to meet efficiency targets
- Drive A/B and multivariate testing programs to continually improve performance across the marketing funnel, from bidding strategies to CTRs to visits to ux/ui
- Manage and inspire a scrappy team of analysts and channel marketers who are passionate about thredUP’s mission
- Partner with Analytics and Data Science to improve reporting capabilities, marketing dashboards and our understanding of related metrics (LTV, new/repeat mix, etc)
- Work with partners at Google and others to keep our methodologies at the leading edge of digital marketing
- Provide meticulous reporting and analyses to keep the President/CMO and the rest of the team abreast of results, learnings and plans for improving results going forward--this means succinctly articulating the drivers of over/under performance
- Work as the key stakeholder to set product priorities with engineering, data engineering and product to improve SEM performance
- Monitor site SEO performance. Be vigilant and alert on site infrastructure pitfalls as it happens
- Find opportunities to improve SEO traffic by optimizing site infrastructure, content and backlinks
- Be on top of ever-changing SEO best practices, Google Algorithm updates and provide action items based on findings
- Work as the key stakeholder to set engineering priorities for improving SEO performance
- Bachelor’s degree (quantitative field preferred) with 5+ years of work experience in digital marketing with proven success in driving new customers efficiently
- 2+ years managing a team
- Thorough knowledge and hands-on experience with Google AdWords for an online marketplace; display experience a big plus
- Experience with feed and bid optimization for Google Shopping Ads
- Worked with bid management tools like Marin, Kenshoo, DoubleClick
- Excellent analytical and data skills; you are person who enjoys digging deeply into data and building Excel models; experience with SQL is a plus
- Perfectionist who is extremely detail-oriented and has a passion for being well-organized
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, changing environment that favors flexibility and action over structure and process
- Familiar with business analytics tools such as Looker
- Google Analytics
- Tag Management
- Deep knowledge in Google Search Console (Must have)
- Site crawling tools such as Screaming Frog, DeepCrawl or Botify
- Enterprise SEO tool such as BrightEdge, Conductor, Searchmetrics, SEO Clarity
- Backlink research tools such as Ahref or Majestic SEO
- Understand Authority score concepts (i.e. MOZ DA, Majestic Trust Flow
Back to top